PDA

View Full Version : ??? For those of you with solar covers & pools with step sections

Sherra
04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm about to order a solar cover and reel for my pool. We've got a 4x8 step section in our pool. Those of you who have a solar cover and a step section, do you cover the steps also? I can order a "step section" from In The Swim (where I'm getting my cover from) and it's only $8 more. Also, the Solar Blanket Tape...is it worth the extra $5 or would a roll of duct tape do about the same thing? This is what it says...Use to attach a Step Section to your blanket or to repair small tears. Includes 100 square inches of material.

Thanks in advance.:)

Poconos
04-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Don't know what that tape is but I can say that regular grey duct tape will deteriorate in sun and water. OK for temporary use but in the long run...nah. I have an IG Oval and use a 16x32 rectangular cover. For the ends, including the stair area, which the cover doesn't reach, I use sections of old cover and throw on some old bleach bottles partially filled with sand to hold them down.
Al

kaybinster
04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Never heard of this tape, can you tell us some more about it and what it costs?

I have a 20 x 40 IG with similar steps, I just don't bother to cover the steps, not that much area to worry about.

Sherra
04-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm going to go ahead and order it since it's only $4.99. I'll let you all know when I get it what it's like.

nater
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I ordered a cover for my 16x32 IG with steps last year. I ordered the 16x36 for an extra $10 and it worked out great. But like Kaybinster says, the little area of the steps isn't worth too much trouble....

Curious, are you ordering a clear or blue cover? Any experience to say one's really better than the other?

Sherra
04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I would have ordered the next size up, but it was cheaper to order the step section and tape. I'm getting a blue cover...just a 12 mil. If this works well for us, I may "upgrade" to a clear when the time comes in a few years and this one wears out. We're in South Carolina and our water temp is already up in the low 70s in the afternoons here. We'll probably be "breaking in" our pool this weekend. It's supposed to be in the mid/upper 80s all this week and I'm sure the water temp will be in the mid/upper 70s by the end of the week. Our pool is fully in the sun from about 9:30 in the morning until sunset. The cover is mostly just going to be to minimize heat loss at night.

Bergerman
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I ahve a 18X38 ft pool with steps and a swimout. I have used a solor cover (20x40)for 3 years with out a reel and it seemed to be fine. I don't think covering the steps is a big deal but for a few $$ what the heck:) (good call). This year I have a reel and I plan on using the 20X40 cover uncut. Happy swimming.
Ed