PDA

View Full Version : Over-stabilizing is an old wives tale...

aquarium
07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
...selling liquid chlorine in returnable carboys went out a long time ago because of the storage requirements, and buying a pallet of gallon jugs is cheaper than buying a 50 gallon drum. Just buy the sodium di-chlor and be happy.

That's what I was told when I went shopping for the carboy service at a certain well-known pool chain store.

So I hit up the Mall-Wart again. :D

waste
07-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Aquarium, thanks for the laugh :D I'm supprised they told you that considering that a couple of the BIG tab makers have started warning about overstabilization, oh well ... what do you expect from a $7/ hr high school kid - congrats on knowing the difference between :eek: and 'Shinola' - Waste

CToon
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
The only thing , I've been told things that made my eyes roll to the back of my head at a certain wellknown pool store and he wasnt a teenager..

Last time I had to go there , he wasnt there .. probably made him district manager :D

fog80
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
our local pool store employee told me that overstabilization only happens when you use cheap pucks.

his "good" pucks dont have as much cya as the big box pucks.

waterbear
07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Gee, I got just got home from work and we sold so many carboys of chlorine today that we had to refill our pallets 6 times! I also am currently helping 4 people drain and refill to get their cya down and all 4 are switching to liquid (we sell a 2.5 gal refill for $3.69). All 4 of these people have been customers of a different store in town that is part of a franchise. They came to us on advice of either neighbors or friends who are our customers because they couldn't understand why their pools were always getting algae. (All 4 of them have inline feeders and cartridge filters....IMHO, the worst combination you can have. The CYA just keeps going up and up very fast and there is no dilution from backwashing!). We even have a printout on the pool desk about the problems with overstabilization in pools! BTW, the manager of our pool department is a 23 year old kid who knows an incredible amount about maintaining a pool properly! I love hearing what goes on in other stores. It helps me keep perspective when I have a line for water testing that won't quit and I don't get to go to lunch until late in the afternoon!:D

poolbee
07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I have only had my pool a few weeks, but have been reading this forum a while to prepare. I have to say a great idea has just popped into my head after reading once again about poor pool service at pool stores. how about opening a drive thru water testing place and only carry bleach, borax, baking soda and muriatic acid! Charging $5.00 per water sample and a printout of what is really needed for the pool. No one should squawk at paying 5.00 to have their water tested when I would save them so much in the long run.
And of course, they can buy their basic supplies at my store or are welcome to go somewhere else.
I'll sell franchises! But seriously, I bet there are people who would rather pay a minimal fee and have it done right than waste so much money at the free testing pool store because it wasn't.

waterbear
07-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I have only had my pool a few weeks, but have been reading this forum a while to prepare. I have to say a great idea has just popped into my head after reading once again about poor pool service at pool stores. how about opening a drive thru water testing place and only carry bleach, borax, baking soda and muriatic acid! Charging $5.00 per water sample and a printout of what is really needed for the pool. No one should squawk at paying 5.00 to have their water tested when I would save them so much in the long run.
And of course, they can buy their basic supplies at my store or are welcome to go somewhere else.
I'll sell franchises! But seriously, I bet there are people who would rather pay a minimal fee and have it done right than waste so much money at the free testing pool store because it wasn't. Great idea for well kept pools but what about people that have metals in their water, SWGs, or other such special circimstances? There is a place for such chemicals as soda ash also (I just recently tested water which had very low pH AND almost NO TA....soda ash is the best choice for raising both quickly).

CarlD
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Great idea for well kept pools but what about people that have metals in their water, SWGs, or other such special circimstances? There is a place for such chemicals as soda ash also (I just recently tested water which had very low pH AND almost NO TA....soda ash is the best choice for raising both quickly).

And soda ash is REALLY cheap if you buy it at the supermarket: just look for Arm&Hammer WASHING soda, in the yellow box (not orange). Make sure the ingredient is sodium carbonate, (NOT bi-carbonate!)

waterbear
07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Ok Carl, now what about metals? :D (Gonna have to get SOME things from the pool supplier!)