PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Pool

DONNIE
07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Do I need calcium in a fiberglass pool? I've been studying water chemistry to be prepared for my upcoming new IG fiberglass and can't really answer this question.

Donnie

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-11-2006, 04:38 PM
You need to keep a CH level to prevent calcium from leeching out of the plaster. Based on that assumption, a fiberglass pool should not need to calcium. I may be wrong but that is my feeling. Now if you have a heater I think that you do need to maintain your CH level.

CarlD
07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
The only other good reason to keep calcium in a F/G pool is if the manufacturer requires it for the warranty--you don't want to give them ANY excuse to back out of honoring it if you need it.

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Ahhhh I didn't even think of something like that. Good point Carl.

DONNIE
07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I just checked with the heater mfg and it says to keep TA @ 120-150 which is a little higher than recommended on this site and to adjust calcium to 200 300. Thanks for the tip. I never considered the heater requiring calcium. Just trying to sort all of this stuff out before hand. Any thoughts on the higher TA?

Donnie

Watermom
07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
TA of 120-150 should be fine.

DONNIE
07-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks! Now if I can just get over the stress of all this. Maybe a beer will help.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................Yep!

Donnie

mbar
07-12-2006, 12:02 AM
You will love your fiberglass pool! I run mine with calcium of about 150. I find using the bleach, baking soda, and borax combination works best for my pool. If you have any metals, be sure to put in a sequestering agent - fiberglass pools tend to stain if there are any metals in the water. A sequestering agent will hold the metals in suspension which will avoid pool staining. Other than that you won't need anything else.