PDA

View Full Version : Clorine vs shock question

Jebby27
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi all,

Newbie here. Our pool this year has been a big problem. Last year we bought our house with the pool which neither of us ever had before. We opened the pool and from the time we got it clean it was crystal blue all summer. This year we opened the pool and the water was crystal blue, we shocked and the levels were fine until our pump broke. Now our pool is green and we cannot seem to get it back to blue.

We want to either shock or clorinate the pool but not sure if we should just try shocking (heavily since we seem to have no clorine now) or just use clorine . Do we need to get a stabilizer also?

I learned from reading here that the pucks are not good which is what we used last summer. If we use the liquid bleach or clorine, how often and how much do we need to add. We have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool. We have a 1 1/2 hp pump and sand filter. I dont know what the levels are exactly since I have not been able to go downstairs for the past month -broke my ankle :( , but now the dr wants me to start exercising my ankle in the pool so we really need to get it up to par.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

CarlD
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Jennifer:
Start by reading the Stickied thread at the top of this forum ("Using Chlorine....") the one named "Testing...." and the one named "Pool Chemicals and Pool Water Problems."

They will give you the background you need.

Carl

jrv331
07-11-2006, 07:59 PM
You need to give your numbers for a more deifnative answer, but your shock amount is based on your CYA level. With that being said most will agree that with a vinyl liner you shouldnt go much above a chlorine level of 15ppm. In your case that 3 gallons of 6% bleach. You will need to maintain that level until the pool is clear. Might have to add bleach throughout the day to maintain the levels.
John