PDA

View Full Version : Adding calcium...when & where

AndieP
07-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I need to add calcium to our pool and I think I need to do it soon. (concrete/plaster pool Calcium level at 100)

I have been keeping my chlorine level high during the conversion process so my questions are:

Is it OK to add calcium with a high chlorine level?

Is there a better time to add it day vs night?

The bottle says broadcast around pool....is that the best way to add or should I add at the skimmer?

Should I add it all at once (I will probably need about 20 pounds) or add in intervals?

Should I wait for a certain number of days to backwash once it is added?

Thanks!

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
You can add calcium while the chlorine level is elevated, just wait an hour between dosing different chems. With the pump running, I will broadcast it across the deep-end and then help stir up the water with the leaf net or by jumping in. The calcium should dissolve within a couple hours so backwashing should not be a problem (besides losing some calcium in the water you dump). Also, I do not think it matters when you add your calcium but I would probably add 3/4 of the total you need and then wait a few hours, test and add the rest as needed.

Rangeball
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
What are you using for chlorine?

Seems like this would be a perfect situation for calcium hypochlorite.

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Ditto... I had cut it out of my post but good question & point.

AndieP
07-10-2006, 01:32 PM
I have been just using bleach to this point.

Prior to switching I was using calcium hypochlorite as a weekly shock (I was using Pristine Blue) My pool supplier had me discontinue it because "maybe the calcium was clouding the water....didn't need the calcium anyway." :rolleyes:

Should I go back to the calcium hypochlorite as a shock and bleach as daily sanitizing? How much calcium does it add?

I was cleaning the pump basket and noticed pieces of white paint or plaster in it :eek:

I am beginning to think we would be better off just closing the pool down :(