PDA

View Full Version : question

raptureready1953
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
You can safely add the bleach immediately after adding the pH decreaser. You will have to put Chlorine in the pool daily until you have stabilizer in it. When you add your stabilizer, put it in the skimmer, but don't backwash or retest (for the CYA) for at least a week, since it takes a long time to dissolve. You can swim immediately after adding the CYA, as long as your chlorine and pH are in line.

Janet, ummmm, I retook test today. Chlorine was a little high at 3.0. Ph balance was right on the mark at 7.6. Question 1 ..if the ph is fine how can my alkalinity be up ? It was 250 this morn. Last night alkalinity was 200. Ph last night was high at 7.8 or above... chlorine last night was at zero..lol..I put more chlorine in last night and today as I said was up ...I dont want to sound stupid..but what is the skimmer..the thing that you get the bugs out of the pool with, right? Do you just put it on the skimmer and let it sit or use as a sieve like? Help.... I will put the cya in tomorrow night, for the book says to run pump for 24 hrs. we will be gone most of the day on Wend so no pool use until evening anyway. Thanks so much again for the help. And I understand that it takes about a week to see results of cya. But it is ok to swim in after I put it in? How much stablizer do I need for a 16 by 3.3 ft pool? CYA is zero.....

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Regarding the skimmer and adding CYA to it:
The skimmer is the opening at the water-line that has the basket that collects bugs, leaves, etc. You can either dump the CYA into the skimmer and it will get caught up in the filter medium until it dissolves or you can add it to a sock and just leave the sock sitting in the skimmer. Using a sock means you can backwash and not have to worry about losing undisolved CYA.
Pool Volume/CYA Dosage:
According to your pool specs, 16 ft Diam by 3.3 ft deep the volume of your pool is 4975.872 gallons. A level of 30ppm CYA would require 1lb & 3 ozs of CYA. I would add just under that amount to a sock, leave it in your skimmer and check the CYA level at the end of the week.
Safe Swimming:
Since the CYA is slowly dissolving the level will not be dangerous (especially if it is dissolving in a sock) so you will be fine to swim in the water. Also, a Cl level of 3ppm is fine, I would try to keep it around that level.
TA/pH Level:
Will let someone else tackle that one!

raptureready1953
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Regarding the skimmer and adding CYA to it:
The skimmer is the opening at the water-line that has the basket that collects bugs, leaves, etc. You can either dump the CYA into the skimmer and it will get caught up in the filter medium until it dissolves or you can add it to a sock and just leave the sock sitting in the skimmer. Using a sock means you can backwash and not have to worry about losing undisolved CYA.
Pool Volume/CYA Dosage:
According to your pool specs, 16 ft Diam by 3.3 ft deep the volume of your pool is 4975.872 gallons. A level of 30ppm CYA would require 1lb & 3 ozs of CYA. I would add just under that amount to a sock, leave it in your skimmer and check the CYA level at the end of the week.
Safe Swimming:
Since the CYA is slowly dissolving the level will not be dangerous (especially if it is dissolving in a sock) so you will be fine to swim in the water. Also, a Cl level of 3ppm is fine, I would try to keep it around that level.
TA/pH Level:
Will let someone else tackle that one!

I dont have one of those... I have just a pump, with two hoses one in and one out , and blue jets on the inside of pool, one for aeraiting, the other drags it out I guess. So now what do I do? Thanks so much for pool info. I am getting smarter every day.

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-10-2006, 01:16 PM
It won't be pretty but you could hang the sock in front of the return (so water returning to pool blows through sock). I am not an expert with above-ground pools so someone else may come along with better advice.

aylad
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Since this is a continuation of the other thread, I'm going to lock the other thread to try to keep all the replies in one place.

Janet

faithfulfrank
07-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Dear RR,
This might be a dumb question, but next to your pump, do you have a filter?
I'm guessing that you have a small cartridge filter. I'm just trying to understand what you have so we can better help you.
The others who posted here to help you are 100% correct, as usual:)
As they said, CYA is slow dissolving......if putting it in your filter isn't practical, you can put some in a stocking and hang it in front of the hose blowing water in your pool.....it could take a day or two or three to dissolve.

Once in, you will need to keep a minimum amount of chlorine in your pool,,,,(see "best guess chart" at the top of this forum-it's a sticky).
You may wish to buy an inexpensive test kit....I have Ben's and love it, but for your type pool, even a $13.00 Walmart 5 way testkit is better then strips.
Also, I get your forum name....;) Welcome to the forum. There are really good people here that will help you. You may wish to keep your questions on one thread..that way there is less confusion and people can help you easier.

Good luck, Frank D.

raptureready1953
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok Thanks everyone. I will put it in a sock and tie it to the return flow ... I finally bought the drop kit at walmart. Got my pool looking good!!! Thanks again so much.