PDA

View Full Version : More questions from a new BBBer

AndieP
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Between trying to find a leak and making the conversion to BBB I think I'm quickly becoming obsessed with the pool! I swear I dream about this stuff at night :p

My numbers from this morning: I lost 1 ppm overnight.

FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 70
Hardness 120...need to bring this up since we have concrete/plaster.
CYA-haven't tested yet since I added stabilizer last Thursday night..it was 0

My water keeps going from clear to cloudy. 2 days ago it was cloudy...I brought the Cl up to 13 and the next morning it was clear (not crystal clear but clear). Ran pump all day and added bleach to raise level back up 2x during the day. At bedtime added back up to 13 in hopes that this would totally clear the water. This morning the water is cloudy again. I can barely see the drain in the deep end. Right now the pump is off b/c the water level has slipped down below the skimmer due to a leak.

I am having to add water daily to keep the level up...is this part of the problem..constantly adding new water? I have been testing several times a day.

Sorry to be such a nusiance with all my questions :o

Thanks!
Andrea

Rangeball
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I am having to add water daily to keep the level up...is this part of the problem..constantly adding new water? I have been testing several times a day.

From splash out? Perhaps you have a leak?

What type of filter do you have?

AndieP
07-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes...I think we have a leak. I've been working on trying to pinpoint the leak for several days. We have a Triton Pac Fab T-60 Sand Filter (flow rate 60gpm). I have no idea how old it is but I'm assuming at least 20 years. The sand was changed 2 summers ago. The pump was replaced last summer and apparently it is too big for the filter (Sta-Rite 1 1/2 horsepower).

Rangeball
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Based on my past experience with sand filters, if I were you I'd break the filter down and see what the sand looks like. If there's a bunch of green in there, good luck getting it out :( If there is, best bet is probably replace the sand again, then forever stay ahead of your pool. Or you could shut off the in and out valves, add more bleach to the standing water and try to kill the crap then backwash it out. Do a search, there are some recent threads about cleaning sand filters that will provide lots of insight.

If you've been staying ahead of your pool and doing regular backwashing and an inspection reveals your sand is in good condition, you may try adding DE to your sand filter, just enough so that the pressure raises 1 psi. Again do a search, lot's of info on this as well, and should help clear the fine particulates that may be getting through your sand assuming it's not an algae issue.

Pool_Mike
07-10-2006, 01:36 PM
As for applying the BBB method. How long do you have to wait after it's put in then to get back into the pool?

I would hate to get in at the wrong time and come our with WHITE dry hair due to bleach. :) Thanks fo helping me understand.

Bleach=Chlorine?
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Mike,
Unlike non-chlorine pool store shocks it could be anywhere from an hour to a few days. The deciding factor is the chlorine level in the pool and the level of CYA. The actual level is up for debate but once the CL is below 5-10ppm for a CYA of 30-50ppm you should be able to swim.