PDA

View Full Version : Solar Pool Heater

blk133
04-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey guys,

I have a little dilemma here.

I have an inground pool 20x40 kidney shaped 35K gal. and an Aquacal H155 Heat pump, well now I am thinking to install a Solar Pool Heater.
I don't have much space on my roof top, so I will be building a rack.

Can someone suggest the best way to do it?

I looked on "flebay" and saw that people selling kits that have 2- 2x20 solar panels in the box for above ground pool. I thought maybe buy 2 boxes, it will make it 8x20 buy 5 plywood sheets 4x8 and build it myself.

160 sq/ft for 800 sq/ft surface area isn't great is it?

Also, what is better 4 of 2x20 horizontally or 5 of 4x8 vertically?
I know that they don't sell 4x8 for above ground so I think it will be more expensive to buy 5 of 4x8 than 4 of 2x20, will there be a difference in heating?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
B.

Poconos
04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
The efficiency and amount of heating (BTU / Hr) is dependant primarily on square footage, how you plumb them in and water flow. Ideally you want the surface to be cool to the touch, that is, no discernable heating. This indicates maximum heat transfer to the water. In a practical sense you don't need to ram full pump output through the heaters....the flow is a compromise. I only divert part of the pump flow to the heaters, something around 15 gpm or a little less on a 4x20' mat. However many heaters you get it would be best to plumb them in parallel for two reasons. 1)--less restriction on overall flow. 2)--you don't want warm water from one feeding the next. In any case you want to feed from the low point of the heater and discharge from the high point. This will assure a good solid charge of water and a good trapped air purge. As for 160 sq ft not being much, hey, every bit helps and you'll be surprised how much heat you do get. And...it's free.
Hope this helps.
Al

blk133
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Poconos. So if I understand it right then you would suggest me to go with 5 of 4x8 vertical than with 2 of 4x20 horizontal.
Hmm $$$$ about to fly away :)

Poconos
04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Not necessarily recommending one way or the other. Whatever you can fit in the available space the best way and the cheapest $$$ is what I'd go with. Plumbing the things is usually pretty easy.
Al