PDA

View Full Version : bat visitor in Arkansas

boomer99
07-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Each night for the past three weeks, a bat has visited our pool at 845pm, like clockwork. He/she swoops down from the surrounding brush and trees, makes at least one pass at the pool, regardless of any humans in the water, then leaves. On several occasions, a second or third pass is made within 5-10 minutes. The bat does come within 3-5 feet of a person (usually me), but no actual contact. We do have lots of lightning bugs and usually loud music playing. The pool water is perfectly fine. We run the pump and creepy 24/7 and clean out the baskets at least twice a day. There are no unusual bug problems in the pool itself or in the surrounding terrain.

Any ideas why this is happening? Will this go on indefinitely? This was never a problem in previous five years of using this pool. Is there anything to be concerned about?

Dr. Spike
07-09-2006, 04:28 AM
It is probably just feeding or on the way to feed. It sounds like it is doing what bats do. That is flying around looking for food. :) If the bat has made a home near by, or made your yard a stop for feeding you will see it often. Nothing to worry about.

Bats are a good thing to have around, they keep the insect population under control in your yard.

The bats around here will get fairly close too, but never actually touch anyone. At least on purpose.

It could be that it just likes your pool. :D

duraleigh
07-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Bats show up over my pool usually in very early spring and continue throughout the entire swimming season. Have been doing so since the pool was built. It's what they do.

MaryLee
07-09-2006, 09:28 AM
I love to see a bat around the pool at night!! We have so many mosquitoes that the bats really help to keep it somewhat under control. They don't come too close to us and the kids never really notice them...

cleancloths
07-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Got a few that do that around my pool here in NJ.

aylad
07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they come out around dusk here in Louisiana too, and fly around until dark. Between them, the swallows, and the multitude of frogs, at least I don't have a bug problem!!

janet

boomer99
07-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all of the reassuring comments. I guess we'll just enjoy the show for now.

ScottS
07-12-2006, 12:14 AM
they fly around here at times as well.

It is cool to go out and throw or hit a tennis ball into the air with a raquet and watch them hone in on the ball. They come swooping down quickly as they track it with their sonar stalking skills.

I wish we had more though because the mosquitos carry me away when I go out to the pool at night.