PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Dead Animal Smell

MaryS
07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I have a terrible dead animal smell and flies in the grass next to my pool. It has been there for 3 days now and is so horrible that no one can sit outside. We have raked the grass, hosed down the grass, sprayed it with lysol, and sprayed it with a bleach and water solution. It is not going away. I think what happened is that a small dead, decaying animal such as a frog or mouse was run over by the lawn mower. Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell?

Thanks
Mary

MaryLee
07-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Can you take a shovel and move the "remains" somewhere else?

MaryS
07-09-2006, 10:05 AM
MaryLee,

I wish I could. There is nothing visible. I am afraid it was shredded. We raked the area and removed the debris, which smelled bad. I read online that lime would help. Any thoughts?

Thanks for you comment.

NWMNMom
07-09-2006, 10:16 AM
You do NOT want to put lime on your lawn where people/pets may come into contact with it.

It is caustic. If you are sure that you have removed all of the remains, then try some pouring a 1" layer of kitty litter (plain or scented) on the spot (do not spread) and then wait overnight, shop vac it off. That should absorb the moisture product causing the smell and can be disposed of. After that, you can sprinkle some fresh dirt/fill over if you want to.

DH got stupid one winter and threw fish cleanings out the back door in the edge of the woods after ice fishing. Not only did it reek like ever in the spring, it drew skunks and noisy magpies. After the remains got cleaned up, the stench remained and, of course, the wind was from that way for days! We used the kitty litter trick (but raked it in a bit since it wasn't lawn, but woods area) It shop vac'd up really nice and the smell went with it.

kevinm
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Lime is actually the way to go. It is used on lawns regularly and should help the smell.

You can get a bag of the powdered (not the pelletized) for around a buck at Home Depot or Lowes.

Kevin

MaryS
07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Hooray!!! The smell is gone! Thank you everyone for your comments. Yesterday we bought some lime and put it on the lawn in the area of the smell. By evening, the smell was barely noticeable and this morning, I don't smell a thing!! Lime is really not a caustic substance. It is used to raise the PH of the soil. We have no small children or pets, so we were willing to try anything. The lime worked great and we also have a bag of kitty litter just in case it comes back.

Thanks again!! Problem solved!!

cheshamjim
07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Maybe lye is what we don't want to put on our lawn. ;)

-Jim