PDA

View Full Version : salt level indicator

doriec
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Is there a salt level indicator on the market that allows one to check salt levels in the pool water? Can you put salt in the water to get the nice "feel" without using a SWG? Also, is there a timer on the market so I don't have to turn my pump on and off all the time? Thanks, Dorie

Poolsean
04-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Hate to sound like a sales pitch, but yes, the Pool Pilot provides the salinity meter and time clock on the Digital unit.

Aside from that, there are electronic salinity meters you can purchase to test the water (made by MyronL and LaMotte being the two more accurate meters). There are also salt test strips and drop test kits.
You can add salt without a salt chlorine generator to get that "soft water feel". I'd recommend about 3000 ppm. If you have new water, this will be 50 lbs of salt per 2000 gallons of water. However, you will want to have your water tested for salt first, then add only what is needed to get to 3000 ppm. With old water, it's possible that you have some salt already and you don't want to oversalt your pool or else you will taste the salt. And if your salt is too high, the concentration can cause corrosion to metals.
And yes, there are time clocks available so that you can control your pump on and off (Intermatic is the main manufacturer of these time clocks). This should match the voltage of your pump. These are available through your local pool store, on line, or even Home Depot/Lowes.