PDA

View Full Version : HELP! DE in pool

gelat
07-08-2006, 09:33 PM
I was doing a backwash and added DE to the pool instead of the skimmer. Now it has settled and has made the pool cloudy. How can I restore my clear water???

denanbob
07-09-2006, 12:05 AM
I don't really feel comfortable giving advice yet since I am so new to all of this, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :o I would first vacuum up what you can (vac to waste is probably best but you may lose alot of water depending on how much you've got in your pool). Also, a skimmer sock may help to catch the finer particles so they don't just filter back through again. I think I am having the same problem except I didn't backwash it in there. I added 4lbs of DE at setup and I think it may have been too much and the excess was going out the return into the pool. SLOWLY it's getting better after several vacuum sessions (have not vacuumed to waste yet ~ will use that a last resort). Good luck!!

CToon
07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
hi gelat ,

It may take a few days , but it will settle out and then you can vacuum it .

denanbob ,

I have had powder return to the pool because of gasket leak , there may be a mechanical reason. Since i dont know your filter , Im only guessing ,but 4 pounds doesnt seem too much.

JohnInSoCal
07-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I had that problem, not because I poured it in but because I had a hole in one of my grids and it spit DE into the pool. Just run the filter and then vacum the DE that settles to the bottom. It should clear up soon. You may need to vacum more than once depending upon how much DE you dumped in.

ScottsdaleSwim
07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
My husband added DE to the pool the very first time we backwashed. It was horrible! It did clear up. We ran the pump for a day or so and brushed it towards the drain. Honestly, it cleared up much faster than I thought it would.