PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about my numbers

AndieP
07-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I started the conversion process 2 nights ago...been keeping my chlorine level at 10ppm. My numbers from this morning are as follows:

FC 9
CC 0.2
PH 7.0
TA 50
CA ??? solution turned a light goldish color instead of red
CYA 0 (haven't tested yet as I just added stabilizer Thursday night)

My questions are why did my CA turn goldish/yellowish instead of red? Is it the high chlorine level interfering?

My PH and TA both are low. What should I add first Borax or baking soda? How long do I wait between adding the two and do I add both directly to the skimmer?

Lastly, my water was very clear last night when I went to bed. This morning it is still clear but a bit cloudy...I can barely see the bottom of the deep end.

23,000 concete/plaster pool, sand filter

Thanks for recommendations on what to do next.
Andrea

waste
07-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Andie, what might be happening on the CH test is that the 9 ppm cl are affecting the reagent's colors. Do the instructions for your test kit include a 'testing problems' section where this might be adressed? What kit are you using? There are a couple 'tricks' that can be used, but they depend on the kit you use. If you'd post these answers, I'll check with my kit's instructions, and get back to you Mon. In the mean time, put some baking soda in the pool, to raise the TA, when you get that up to level, add the borax - the baking soda will 'drag' the pH up, if you're pH is still low, add the borax. (Are you sure that the pH is 7.0?, if it's the bottom of the kit's range you might be lower and get the same result) If you need more help, just ask :)