PDA

View Full Version : What are the alternatives to bottled bleach?

TxDan
07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
This foum has convinced me to convert from Baquacil to the BBB system. We have a 15 foot round above ground pool with an expanded bottom that comes out to 10,000 gallon. I ordered the test kit from Ben this morning.

The thought of hauling home near 100 bottles of bleach for the conversion in our 2005 Monte Carlo is causing me pause. This would be a lot of trips, both to the store and back, then from the car to the pool area. If I was not handicapped this would not be as much of an issue.

Is there an alternative to bleach that would reduce the number of bottles to something more manageable? I understand it may cost more, but for us the trade off may be viable.

Dan

duraleigh
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Assuming your calcium levels are not excessive, Calcium Hypochlorite is probably the next best thing.

Rangeball
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
You could use lythium hypochlorite, but you'll need a deep pocket or several :(

CarlD
07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
You can buy 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% liquid chlorine at poolstores. Since it's twice as strong (if it's fresh) you'd only need 10 of these.

There is now a spigot sold for the carboys so you can get the chlorine out without spilling it all over. Maybe these aren't new, but I just discovered them on Sunday...

aquarium
07-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Is there any way you can just empty the pool and start with fresh water?

MaryLee
07-07-2006, 12:42 PM
You can buy 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% liquid chlorine at poolstores. Since it's twice as strong (if it's fresh) you'd only need 10 of these.

There is now a spigot sold for the carboys so you can get the chlorine out without spilling it all over. Maybe these aren't new, but I just discovered them on Sunday...

I saw something pretty interesting this morning....I was picking my daughter up from swim team practice at the outdoor rec pool here in town, and I saw a truck delivering these 5 gallon carboys to the pool. The label said 12.5 sodium hypochlorite. I was amazed (and impressed) to see this HUGE pool using liquid chlorine. It made me feel better about her swimming in that water..

prh129
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
When you think about it, you want something that will mix in pretty fast so that rules out pucks and powders so liquid chlorine probably makes the most sense. Plus it's probably the EASIEST TO MAINTAIN (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more)

Peter

waterbear
07-07-2006, 05:44 PM
There is also a non chlorine oxidizer (it is NOT MPS) that has been suggestged for use by the company that makes it as a non chlorine shock. Don't know too much about it , but it is sodium percarbonate. Really don't know what effect it has on the pool but it is supposed to complete the conversion in abut 48 hours. I do know that there are problems with other non chlorine, non MPS oxidizers in pools such as sodium perborates. Can't find much info about it and the maunufacturer's website is offline!:eek: I beleive Ben might know the manufacturer of this product and have more to say on the issue. In the meantime I would stick with Bleach!

SLS
07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't know if I was just lucky but I just used 20 gallons to convert my 32,000 gallon pool over. I used 5 gallons a night for four nights. I converted in April when it was cooler so that my have helped. My Baq level was also fairly low.

bcb1
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
If you can get the 5 gallon carboys at a local pool supply, that's great. Otherwise, it's really no big deal at all to use 1-gallon jugs.

I have an 18x36 inground, and I use about 1 gallon per week. I also keep a single tablet of tri-chlor floating in the pool at all times, just in case I forget to check the pool for a day or two, I never have to worry about it being completely without chlorine.

I pick up a jug or two of bleach every week when we go to Wal-Mart. Very cheap and easy way to chlorinate the pool.