PDA

View Full Version : Brown to green to ?

archdiane
07-07-2006, 07:14 AM
I am new and lost/overwhelmed. I bought an ENTEX 16' x 48" round AG pool. I hope I am in the right place to post this question. I filled my pool with well water, knowing I had iron in it. Then I threw a half of pound of HTH SHOCK in it. I now realize the IRON was oxidized and the entire pool turned brown. I added, over time, 3 bottles of METAL MAGNET. the water is now a very, very light green. The PH is 6.9, FC 0, TA 0. What do I do next and when can we swim?

AJ

mbar
07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
First add some baking soda, you need to get your alkalinity between 80 - 120 and your ph up to 7.2. Add baking soda and wait an lour and retest. If your alkalinity is ok, but your ph isn't up to 7.2, then add some borax, it will raise the ph without raising the alk. Right after adding the baking soda you can add regular laundry bleach - using cal hypo seems to react more with iron, so I stay away from it. You can find out how much to add with the bleach calc. Get your chlorine up to 2ppm. Add some stabalizer, enough to get it up to about 30. Once you get all of your numbers up it is ok to swim. You want your numbers to be

FC 2 - 3
CC 0
PH 7.2 (with iron in the water don't let your ph get above 7.4)
Alk 80 - 120
CYA 30 - 50

HOpe this helps, ask any questions you may have. Welcome to the forum. You can go to the pool solutions web site and read "pool care tips" it will help you to understand how to take care of your pool the easiest way. Just ask if you don't understand anything!