PDA

View Full Version : Tree stumps....

court475
07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
We are having our pool installed next weekend and we are trying to decide where to put it. It seems the most level part of the yard is where there was a tree that fell during hurricane Katrina. We had the stump ground. Will they be able to put the pool over that area?

rmeden
07-06-2006, 11:35 PM
should be fine... any roots left will be no match for the backhoe!

hrsdennis
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi, not sure your installers will have a backhoe but here is what I would ask before showing up to install the pool.

Is the stump below ground level? Once the sod is removed and the ground leveled the stump still needs to be at or below ground level.

What throws a lot of my customers off is the level part. They do not see that I will have to remove two inches of dirt from the area of the stump in order to level the pool area. Many times that leaves the stump above ground level.

Aside from that I have never had any other problems with tree stumps.

Hope the install goes well, Dennis

rmeden
07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
oops, didn't notice it was the above-ground forum!

matt4x4
07-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Tree stumps decompose over time, it will eventually cause a sink hole, the decaying process will likely slow down once the pool is up since less moisture will get to the tree stump (no direct rain anymore), but since teh stump is organic in nature, it WILL decompose eventually.
If you are planning on having this pool for 20-30 years, I would advise you have the stump removed, however, if 10 years is a good enough time span for the pool, the stump will likely not become an issue.

If you center the pool over the stump, maybe you will get a deep end over time! :)

mohawk
07-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Tree stumps decompose over time, it will eventually cause a sink hole, the decaying process will likely slow down once the pool is up since less moisture will get to the tree stump (no direct rain anymore), but since teh stump is organic in nature, it WILL decompose eventually.
If you are planning on having this pool for 20-30 years, I would advise you have the stump removed, however, if 10 years is a good enough time span for the pool, the stump will likely not become an issue.

If you center the pool over the stump, maybe you will get a deep end over time! :)

This is exactly what the pool installer told us. We decided to move the pool 3to 4 feet away from the tree site. :)

robot9000
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
I had two area's that had stumps 10 years ago. The stumps were gone (Ground down) but there were large root structures just below the surface. When I removed about 4 in of soil, I found the roots. They were soft and springy just to stand on. I found they whent out about 3 ft in several directions. I ended up digging them up and back filling with sand and some paver gravel my neighbor had (He was building a paver patio at the time).

I used a hand tamper and watered it to get it to settle as much as possible. I had to do 2-3 cycles of tamp, water, backfill to get it all solid.