PDA

View Full Version : Curious about something salty?

Bowlin
07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I added 120 pounds of salt the other day saturday to be exact, and today went by L's to get a salt kit. If I did the test correct my ppm is 1200, and I only added 120#'s to a 27000 gallon pool so now my question is how much salt does all the other things I have in the pool add, and just to mention I am BBB. I guess this is gonna get me blasted but I am curious.

mas985
07-06-2006, 08:39 PM
A byproduct of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is sodium chloride (salt). So with time, a bleach pool will build up salt. A few other things add salt as well but I believe that bleach is the largest contributor.

gonefishin
07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Salt may be a by product of bleach...but how much salt would gallon (or a season) of bleach leave in the pool.

thanks,
dan

mhnewcomb
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I have been thinking lately that the salt from using bleach, over time, may be considerable--at least enough to get some benefit from it.

This is my 5th year using only bleach, and every year my water seems to be easier on the skin. We just had a July 4th/husband's 40th birthday party--throughout the day, 40 people or so in and out of the pool, half of them children. Every adult commented on the look and feel of the water, and I never got around to my plan of adding salt! (Still waiting on Ben's new kit w/ salt test.)

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than me will come along with some numbers--just my anectdotal two cents.

Lenny
07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Salt may be a by product of bleach...but how much salt would gallon (or a season) of bleach leave in the pool.

thanks,
dan

Dan,

I recently installed a SWG and I accidentally over salted my pool by about 1000 ppm. It tested my tap water and it wasn't that. It had to be the bleach. And my pool was just built last year, so it didn't take that long for this salt level to build up.

I'd buy a salt test kit (about $22) and test your water before adding salt.