04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
So just opened the pool. AG...approx 19,000 gal

Initial tests...

CL-- 0
PH-- 7.5
Alk- 200
Hardness- about 500
CYA- 100

I am on well water... Am switching to bleach this year. Emptied the feeder. Used the calculator and added 1 gallon of 6 % to bring to 3 ppm

Water is a little cloudy. Running the filter now. What else should I do...?

Watermom
04-09-2006, 12:24 PM
So just opened the pool. AG...approx 19,000 gal

Initial tests...

CL-- 0
PH-- 7.5
Alk- 200
Hardness- about 500
CYA- 100

I am on well water... Am switching to bleach this year. Emptied the feeder. Used the calculator and added 1 gallon of 6 % to bring to 3 ppm

Water is a little cloudy. Running the filter now. What else should I do...?

If it were my pool with high cya and high calcium hardness, I'd do a partial drain to lower both those values. Of course, that may not be an option for you if you are on well water. At any rate, if you want to try and not drain, be sure to use only bleach to chlorinate with. You don't want your cya any higher and you definitely don't want your hardness reading any higher. No cal-hypo for you. You may still have a problem with cloudy water with CH of 500. That is kind of the end of the acceptable range. Some people have problems with clouding at 500, others don't seem to. Time will tell. Keep running your pump 24/7 right now while trying to clear it and if you don't do a partial drain, you're gonna have to run higher than normal chlorine levels to adequately sanitize your water. See the sticky at the top of this forum "Best Guess CYA chart."
Keep us posted how things are going.

Watermom

JMCFAN
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I did a partial drain and fill at the end of the season last year.... I can do it again. I can only seem to get it down past the skimmer and I lose prime..

I use my vacuum and clean the bottom while I pump off into the vacant lot behind me :)

I will go ahead and do another this evening... damn...3 years on pucks and now I am fighting this...

What can I do to get the hardeness down...?

waste
04-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I did a partial drain and fill at the end of the season last year.... I can do it again. I can only seem to get it down past the skimmer and I lose prime..

I use my vacuum and clean the bottom while I pump off into the vacant lot behind me :)

I will go ahead and do another this evening... damn...3 years on pucks and now I am fighting this...

What can I do to get the hardeness down...?
If you want to get the water lower than the skimmer mouth, use the vac - (* if you're sucking air while 'vac-ing', put the other end of the vac hose in the skimmer) It sounds like the skimmer is your only suction source.
I don't know (and apparently you don't either) if your fill water is the cause of your high CH - is it possible to 'truck in' some low calcium water?

JMCFAN
04-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Dont know.... could be my well water. It is pretty hard. I have to use "Metal B Gone" post adding fresh water or I turn my pool green..

waterbear
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
That sounds like copper in your water. Might want to check for that.