PDA

View Full Version : Are SWG's illegal in California?

beary
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
A friend of mine is building a pool and one of the builders' he interviewed said that salt water pools are illegal in California because salt water is considered a hazard to the environment. Illegal in California? He also told my friend that salt pools require coated rebar. All stuff I've not heard before. Interesting.

beary

mas985
07-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Nonsense, I have one. The builder probably does not offer one or has never installed on. Or he may be thinking of a true salt water pool and not a SWG. The salt levels for a seawater pool are 10x that of a SWG pool.

duraleigh
07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
said that salt water pools are illegal in California because salt water is considered a hazard to the environment. Illegal in California? Uh-oh! Arnold is gonna' drain the Pacific! There goes the budget again.

dawndenise
07-06-2006, 02:33 PM
This topic came up on another internet site and here's a link that pertains to it. I guess this issue affected one area of California at that time...don't know if it's still in effect or if it has been passed in other areas. Other posters on the other site pointed out that it affected only those who have their systems draining into the sewer system and that the salt concentrations targeted in the law are usually not those of residential pools (which are lower).

I'm not an expert about this, but this article should give anyone who's interested a starting point.

http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/article/854201-1.html

Sandy

beary
07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Kind of what I expected. Has there been any problems found to be caused by the salt in pools using SWGs?

beary

Poolsean
07-07-2006, 01:41 AM
The pool industry is fighting this action by Santa Clarita, Ca. Unfortunately LA was trying to follow with them. However, there is no basis for this conclusion as salt from a salt pool is minimal in comparison to the other sources of "sodium" being leached into the water system.
It's not the salt being used in Salt Chlorine generator pools, it's the discharge from backwashing that they are concerned with.
At this time, Santa Clarita is the only city that is preventing builders from installing salt chlorine generators on pool. Also banned are water softeners!

JohnInSoCal
07-07-2006, 02:12 AM
in my city (Norco) water softeners that put salt back into the sewer system are banned. However I don't think SWG's are banned because many of the new pools have SWG's on them and the inspectors are very picky and wouldn't pass them if it was a problem.

semenzato
07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Uh oh, does this mean that I can no longer put salt in my pasta water? :-)

SoCalBoo
07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
What's the conversion on milligrams to ppm? Would 2000 mg/lit encompass all of our pools running in the 2500-3500 range?

KurtV
07-07-2006, 02:12 PM
For water 1 mg/liter = 1 ppm.