PDA

View Full Version : i broke my hayward ec-65 de filter

fog80
04-09-2006, 12:17 AM
i was bumping my de filter because the pressure had gone up and the flow didnt seem as strong as usual.

well the part that holds the handle in place just broke. there are two of them on the lid but the other one looks like it was broken a long time ago.

now i cant bump the filter. i was looking at a replacement for the filter cover but they are about 150 bucks......

is there a workaround anyone can think of to be able to bump the de to keep the pressure down without having to backwash the de and add more everytime the pressure goes up. (i just added 6 lbs yesterday and dont want to waste it all)

mikemedic
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I would just but the new piece from Hayward thru a dealer. I had the same filter, DE's are tedoius but do a great job filteing. My hayward 65 actually started leaking through the actual side of the filter. looked like stress crack, couldnt seal it up anyway. So I went out an bought a Hayward sand filter, less work involved and now ready to install it. I believe you can replace the top piece and use your old fingers etc. Pretty easy to replace
Mike

fog80
04-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I would just but the new piece from Hayward thru a dealer. I had the same filter, DE's are tedoius but do a great job filteing. My hayward 65 actually started leaking through the actual side of the filter. looked like stress crack, couldnt seal it up anyway. So I went out an bought a Hayward sand filter, less work involved and now ready to install it. I believe you can replace the top piece and use your old fingers etc. Pretty easy to replace
Mike

i searched around the net and the top piece is going to cost 130 bucks or so. I think i'll probably replace that instead of getting a new DE filter altogether.

right now im manually using the bump handle to push down the metal thing in the middle of the top (normally i would be pulling the handle down to do this but the piece broke off that gives me leverage).

how much play should that metal piece have when "bumping" im noticing that the "pin" goes in and out approximately .25-.50 inch. Is that enough to be considered "bumping"?

When I do it, the pressure does go down temporarily on the DE filter.

leejp
04-09-2006, 11:30 PM
If you have the pieces still go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a tube of Magnum Marine Plastic Repair Epoxy. Plastics are tough but I've repaired many indoor/outdoor items using this stuff.

http://www.itw-devcon.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/products/product+catalogue/adhesives/magnum+marine+-+plastic+repair

Use a liberal amount (build a beefier piece using additional epoxy materia). You'll have to be quick. My Hayward EC-65 inlet pipe cracked last spring. I used this stuff for temporary" repaur since no one had the part in stock (I have an older EC-65). Well that "temporary" fix was as good as new and it worked all year like that. I've since gotten the part but have been too lazy to tear the filter apart.

It may/may not work for you but it's only $8.

The parts costs are absolutely ridiculous. I always scan the local classified papers for used pumps/filters that match my make/model just so I can have spare parts lying around.

fog80
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
If you have the pieces still go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a tube of Magnum Marine Plastic Repair Epoxy. Plastics are tough but I've repaired many indoor/outdoor items using this stuff.

http://www.itw-devcon.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/products/product+catalogue/adhesives/magnum+marine+-+plastic+repair

Use a liberal amount (build a beefier piece using additional epoxy materia). You'll have to be quick. My Hayward EC-65 inlet pipe cracked last spring. I used this stuff for temporary" repaur since no one had the part in stock (I have an older EC-65). Well that "temporary" fix was as good as new and it worked all year like that. I've since gotten the part but have been too lazy to tear the filter apart.

It may/may not work for you but it's only $8.

The parts costs are absolutely ridiculous. I always scan the local classified papers for used pumps/filters that match my make/model just so I can have spare parts lying around.

i think im gonna have to try that out. i dont expect it to hold for long because the handle is going to be applying pressure to the glued on piece every time i move the bump handle up, but its worth a shot, ill just have to be careful.

i think i may have the same filter as you (its around 10 years old). Do you think its worth buying a replacement top in the future (around 140 bucks) or going with a new DE filter altogether (300 bucks or so).

thanks.

KirstenHW
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
leejp: Can I use this marine grade epoxy to repair a broken skimmer cover? The corner broke off when someone stepped on it. I'd rather fix it than replace it (save $$ for other inevitable expenses). Also, we repainted our aluminum coping and have extra cans left. Once I glue back together the cover, can I use this coping paint on it?

FRANCIS
05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I Have Stress Cracks In My Old Ec-65's Tank Also!! How Did You Try To Repair Yours And Why Did The Method Fail? Did You Use Epoxy Designed For Plastic On The Inside Of The Tank?

hzz
05-31-2006, 12:30 AM
leejp: Can I use this marine grade epoxy to repair a broken skimmer cover? The corner broke off when someone stepped on it. I'd rather fix it than replace it (save $$ for other inevitable expenses). Also, we repainted our aluminum coping and have extra cans left. Once I glue back together the cover, can I use this coping paint on it?

I think it would be safer to replace the cover.
If someone steps on it and the glue doesn't hold could be a nasty accident.