FC = 2
CC = 0
TC = 2
pH = 7.8
Alk = 120
Cal = 220
Cya = 50
Temp = 86F

Water is crystal clear. I have been adding about 3 gallons of bleach a week and every other week I add some chlorine granules along the edges and in the deep end. Any suggestions? Thank you all for the help early on. And a big thank you to Ben for the great kit. I love testing my water now!

CarlD
07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Here are my numbers:

FC = 2
CC = 0
TC = 2
pH = 7.8
Alk = 120
Cal = 220
Cya = 50
Temp = 86F

Water is crystal clear. I have been adding about 3 gallons of bleach a week and every other week I add some chlorine granules along the edges and in the deep end. Any suggestions? Thank you all for the help early on. And a big thank you to Ben for the great kit. I love testing my water now!

Yes. Stop adding "Chlorine granules" and stick to bleach if those granules are di-chlor powder. If they are Cal-Hypo, it's OK to use them until calcium/hardness approaches 400ppm.

Another: Your CYA is 50 but your FC and TC are 2. They should be between 3 and 6--and at 50 I'd keep FC between 5 and 6. (unless you have an SWC).

And, with your pH at 7.8, your risk of algae is even greater. 7.8 is OK, but you DEFINITELY want your FC and TC to be in the 5-6 range.

It's not that your numbers are bad--they are pretty good, but only pretty good. It's that you have put yourself closer to being at risk than you should. Were it me I would do 3 things given your numbers:
1) Only use bleach to chlorinate.
2) Get FC up to the 5-6 range ASAP.
3) Slowly get pH down to the 7.3 to 7.6 range.

Of the 3, I think 2) is most important.

duraleigh
07-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Good numbers.

I would suggest maintaining your Cl level somewhat higher.....say, 3-6 range.

Curious. Why are you using chlorine "granules"? Chemically, what does it say on the container?

Xignals
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the feed back. What I am using is the Aqua Chem 4 in 1 22.5 lbs bucket from Walmart. My normal procedure is to put it in on Saturday morning to get ready for a weekend of heavy swimming. Other than that I have been using only bleach. I have a 23,300 gallon gunite inground pool with sand filter.

duraleigh
07-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Long term, you may consider just dosing with an extra gallon of bleach on Sat. AM. The results will be in just a few hours (quicker than granules) and you wont' be driving your pH down and CYA up.

That said, I would certainly use what you've got. Your pH could come down a little and the granules will help that. Test every now and then for CYA. It's probably about as high as you want it and the granules will continue to drive it up.