PDA

View Full Version : Confused by Pool store analysis

poolmom06
07-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I took my water to the pool store today to see where I am with CYA AND stuff
Tot Cl-10
Free Cl-10
CYA-85(was 181 6 days ago)
Ph - 8.2( however according to my taylor kit from Leslies, it's 7.4)
Total ALK- 112( was 160 on my test kit this morning)
They want me to lower my PH and raise my alkalinity but I am thinking no, what do you think??

aylad
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Did they use strips, or the computer method, or drops? If you're testing with a drop-based kit, and I'm assuming you used the Taylor kit for all your testing, then I would go with your numbers and stop playing around in the pool store. I don't remember offhand what type of pool you have, but if it's a vinyl pool with a pH or 7.4 and a TA of 160, I'd leave it alone!

Janet

poolmom06
07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks, the pool store uses the strips in the computer, I used the Taylor drops kit, my pool is a 18ft ag round vinyl. I will just leave it alone for now and see what happens. Is my CYA ok, or should I drain and refill??

aylad
07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd go with your test numbers over the pool store's anyday.

Regarding your CYA, some people would tell you to refill--I personally prefer higher CYa levels. It's really your choice--just be aware that if you don't drain/refill, then you're going to have to keep your Cl at no less than 5 ppm at all times...

Janet

poolmom06
07-05-2006, 03:43 PM
How much should I drain and refill??

waterbear
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
The reason the pH was reading so high is that chlorine levels above 10 ppm will cause bogus pH readings, whether strips or drops. They all use phenol red indicator! The only way to get an accurate reading when the chlorine is high is with a properly calibrated pH meter (and even that can suffer from some interferance!) The Taylor reagent is good up to about 15 ppm chlorine. LaMotte and most strips don't read pH accurately above 10 ppm and most cheapie kits don't work very well with chlorine above 5 ppm!