PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub temps...but no hot tub!

Sherra
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Not that this has anything to do with anything important...

We went swimming 2 days ago...hubby took the solar cover off the pool and water temp was 101! Turned the pump on for a couple of hours to circulate the cooler water from the bottom (yeah, we've got a main drain in the 8' end, so the cooler water really was getting recirculated to the top) and water temp FINALLY got down to 98. The water wasn't even refreshing. :( We left the cover off that night and yesterday the water temp was down to an ALMOST refreshing 95 in the morning. :rolleyes: Air temps haven't even gotten very high here the past few days...been 94-97 during the afternoons here. We may have to start re-thinking our solar cover use. Maybe keep it off at night so the heat can leave, but put it back on during the day when we're not using the pool to help reduce evaporation and chlorine loss...?? I notice a huge difference in chlorine loss when I do/don't use the cover during the day. When I use the cover (with no bather load) I get about 1 PPM loss per day. When I don't use the cover (also with no bather load) I get a 2-3 PPM loss per day.

Tredge
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I hear a good fountain can cool the pool down a bit.....but that will probably increase the evaporation.

Evaporation is 70% of how a pool cools off so....I guess you'll have to choose to spend more on chlorine or have a cool pool :)

My pool is 74....would like it to be 80!