PDA

View Full Version : lowering alk w/ already low PH

denanbob
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Can you safely use Bens method if your PH is already pretty low? Here are my numbers from this morning:

TC - 3
PH - 7.2
ALK - 280
Hardness - 410
CYA - didn't register, water wasn't cloudy, black dot never disappeared

Pool is newly built so we only started with chemicals yesterday. Shocked pool yesterday with one bag of shock (68% cl) that said it's good for 10,000 gallons (which is what we have ~ 15x30 oval with 46 inches of water).

Main goal is to lower alkalinity (which is from my well water so any water that I add will be high alk). Used 2 cups of muriatic acid yesterday (1 cup at a time about 4 hours apart). Have been running the return on top of the water to aerate. No change noted.

Any ideas?

aylad
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
It's best if you keep a question only in one thread--it makes it less confusing for the responders and keeps from cluttering up the forum any more than it is. I answered this one in your other thread.

Janet

denanbob
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
It's best if you keep a question only in one thread--it makes it less confusing for the responders and keeps from cluttering up the forum any more than it is. I answered this one in your other thread.

Janet

On the other thread, someone suggested that I post on the correct forum (alkalinity forum) and since I can't move my own post, this is what I thought was best. Sorry.

GTakacs
07-18-2006, 11:03 AM
On my 12,000 gallon pool I started with an alkalinity of 370 and it's down to 130 after 4 days of constant aerating with a 12 ft long 2 ft tall cascading waterfall, two deck jets and a foam jet in the beach entry. My pool also has eaten 5 gallons of muriatic acid in the process.

I think your problem is the aeration, or lack thereof. You need to really move that water around and out of the water to get some good air in there. You can lower your pH even more (a cup should bring it down about 0.2 on the pH) and jsut keep an eye on it.