PDA

View Full Version : Mystery bucket of chemical - what is it?

aquarium
07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
We bought a house w/pool in April. The previous owner left some surprises, one of which is a bucket of chemical without a label. It's a white plastic bucket the same size as a 22.5 pound trichlor bucket, but with a red lid. In the center of the bucket's red lid is a 5" diameter white screw-off lid.

The chemical tested negative for chlorine and CYA. It tested big time positive for acid in the pH test. It looks and feels just like sodium bisulfate. What other chemicals in the pool biz might it be other than sodium bisulfate?

I posted this here because I'm doing the alk adjustment thing, and this might be just the ticket to get the water where I want it. Plus, I hate to throw this sort of thing away and put it in a landfill when it could be put to good use.

Thanks,

TW

PS: Another surprise left for us - What can I do with an old-style connection propane tank full of propane?

Simmons99
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
If you don't know what it is - I would dispose of it instead of risking damage to the pool.

ScottS
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
If you don't know what it is - I would dispose of it instead of risking damage to the pool.
I agree with this. Besides causing damage to your pool you introduce the risk of damaging YOURSELF!

You can never be too careful with the chemicals, they are NO joke. And if you don't know what it is the chemical already has the upper hand. Don't let it get the best of you!

LostboyinVA
07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Check with a RV supply store. They should be able to sell you a converter that will allow the use of an old style propane bottle with a new style connector. Decide for yourself if it will be worth the headache though since you won't be able to refill the old style bottles.

aquarium
07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Those are the safe answers on the chemical, and thank you, but I was hoping someone might recognize the container.