PDA

View Full Version : Sparkling water - how?

mshumack
07-05-2006, 10:02 AM
My IG pool appears to be well balanced - thanks to Ben's kit. The numbers are as follows:
PH = 7.4
Alk = 90
CYA = 50
FC = 4
CC = 0
CAL = 220
Temp = 85
The water just doesn't seem to sparkle like it used to. It might be my imagination - or age. The water is very clear.
What makes the water sparkle?

MaryLee
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure what makes it sparkle, but when my pool is looking a little "dull" but the chlorine is at the right level, I'll add a gallon of bleach and within minutes, the sparkle is back.

ivyleager
07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I've always thought I had sparkling water....then added a skimmer sock since beginning of season to help trap pollen. WOW! What a difference. It grabs the finer particles my sand filter doesn't capture. Have yet to try adding a bit of DE, but may try that soon.

You could also try running your filter/pump 24/7 for a few days (if you don't already) and see if that makes a difference.

CaryB
Caniac

rollinrock
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
My IG pool appears to be well balanced - thanks to Ben's kit. The numbers are as follows:
PH = 7.4
Alk = 90
CYA = 50
FC = 4
CC = 0
CAL = 220
Temp = 85
The water just doesn't seem to sparkle like it used to. It might be my imagination - or age. The water is very clear.
What makes the water sparkle?

Im new to this board and maybe what im going to write is stupid but I noiticed that all things being equal the pool water sparkles when there is a clear bright sky as opposed to a dull overcast day. Just my amateur observation..

ScottS
07-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I had the same problem that you did, the water just didn't "sparkle". I went to the pool store and grabbed a 25lb bag of glitter. They told me to mix it in a bucket of water and throw it in while doing a handstand. Now the water sparkles too much so I am going to order some glitter remover in hopes to reduce the sparkle :) ( <---- just kidding of course).

Seriously though you may have very small particles suspended. The suggestion of the skimmer sock and running the filter for a few days is good and worth a shot.

Good luck.

mshumack
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I have a DE filter so I doubt I can do much to improve the filtering (i.e. adding a skimmer sock). Maybe the water is not getting filtered as much as needed. I'll try and extend the filter time and possibly open the main drain valve a little more ( I draw 95% through skimmer).

What about those (liquid) clarifiers they sell in the pool stores - do they work? What's in them?

Assuming my dull water is due to small suspended particles - would a floculant help - is that the same thing as a clarifier?

Thanks.

ScottS
07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
What about those (liquid) clarifiers they sell in the pool stores - do they work? What's in them?

Assuming my dull water is due to small suspended particles - would a floculant help - is that the same thing as a clarifier?

Thanks.
No problem.

I was very close to attempting the use of a clarifier but the water cleared after shocking and running the filter for a few days straight. I am glad that it did because I really didn't want to try it.

I would hold off on adding anything out of the "norm". There are some people on the site that have used clarifiers and there are others that state they don't or would never use them.

Clarifier is a flocculant and supposedly clumps fine particles together so they can be filtered.

aylad
07-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I would increase the filter time and try the skimmer sock first......you'll be amazed at how much stuff they catch......

Janet

mshumack
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks. I'll try a skimmer sock, although it seems odd that a sock would do any good because I would think whatever gets past the skimmer basket should still get stopped in the filter.
I not against trying. Are there any particular things to look for in a sock (manufacturer/brand, filtration size, etc.)? Or should I just get whatever the pool store has that will fit over my skimmer basket?

waterbear
07-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Is it possible that you have a tine hole in one of your grids that is causing a tiny bit of DE to get back into the pool? It might be worth while to break the filter down and inspect it well. There might also be some bridging of DE between the grids or the grids might need cleaning. All these can cause filtering problems.