PDA

View Full Version : how much shock is too much?

can-opener
07-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I have a 18,000 vinyl pool with algae. Six days ago (before vacation) I shocked the pool raising the cl to over 20-ppm with a pH around 7.4. This morning, pool has more algae then before I shocked & CL was 5-6-ppm. Is there an algecide product I should try or am I not raising the cl high enough when shocking?

I replaced the sand in my filter a couple weeks ago, after I converted the pool from Baqucil with zeobrite (zeolite).

Total alk = 200
CYA = is a little low

How do I get rid of this algae?

larry2338
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
You have to maintain your chlorine shock level consistently for as long as it takes to kill all of the algae. May take a couple of days, may take a week, but you can't let your chlorine level drop below the proper shock level for even 24 hrs. or you'll never get rid of the algae.

"CYA = is a little low" isn't going to cut it. Your correct chlorine shock level depends directly on your CYA level. Depending on your actual CYA reading, 20ppm may be way too high for your pool or it may be way too low.

Get an accurate CYA level test and then check Ben's Best Guess table to determine what your correct shock level is. Maintain that shock level (testing 2-3 times per day if possible) as long as it takes to kill all of the algae.

can-opener
07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks Larry! I appreciate your advice.

justgrapejuice
08-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Get an accurate CYA level test and then check Ben's Best Guess table to determine what your correct shock level is.
Is there a way to get another verision of Ben's Best Guess Table? I do not have a PC only Mac's in the house, and I see this is an executable file.

Thanks...

waterbear
08-11-2006, 11:12 PM
You are confusing the best guess table with bleachcalc. the best guess table is here
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365
Bleachcalc will not work on a mac.

mbar
08-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Use the info in this chart to help you figure out what levels of chlorine you need to maintain in your pool based on the amount of CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) that you have in your pool. (FC = free chlorine)

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

justgrapejuice
08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
You are confusing the best guess table with bleachcalc. the best guess table is here
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365
Bleachcalc will not work on a mac.

Since there is not a Bleachcalc for a Mac, is there something that I can use to determine my needs?

Oh, BTW thanks for the best guess table info.

waterbear
08-11-2006, 11:44 PM
1 gallon of ultra bleach will raise 10000 gal approx 6 ppm
1 gallon of regular bleach will raise 10000 gal approx 5.25 ppm
Call your pool 20000 gallons to make the measurement easier so I would add enough to keep the pool at about 12-15 ppm until the algae is gone.
another way to look at it is 2 oz of ultra bleach will raise 1000 gallons about 1 ppm so every 36 ounces (call it a quart to make it easer) will raise your pool just about 1 ppm or slightly less.
These are approximations but should be close. Test the water and make adjustments accordingly.
Hope this helps.

justgrapejuice
08-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks so much, i really love this site. Everyone is very helpful and quick to respond!

justgrapejuice
08-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Also, are there test kits to test the chlorine levels above the 3.0 mark? Also, what is the method you are using to calculate to check the higher Chlorine levels?

At what level would the chlorine level be too high to swim in?

I have a above ground doughboy 13,000 pool, will the higher levels when I shock be okay for the liner?

Thanks

waterbear
08-12-2006, 12:09 AM
any FAS-DPD test such as the one in Ben's kit or the Taylor K-2006 will test high free chlorine levels.

waterbear
08-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Also, are there test kits to test the chlorine levels above the 3.0 mark? Also, what is the method you are using to calculate to check the higher Chlorine levels?
If you do an advanced search in the forum for 'shot glass method' you will find a way to approximaty test high chlorine levels with an OTO test kit
At what level would the chlorine level be too high to swim in?
This depends on your CYA level
I have a above ground doughboy 13,000 pool, will the higher levels when I shock be okay for the liner?
Once again, this depends on your CYA levels
Thanks
hope this helps....first thing you need to do is get a good test kit like the one sold on the sister website www.poolsolutions.com or a Taylor k-2006

justgrapejuice
08-12-2006, 12:18 AM
My CYA level is 30

BTW, Thanks again...

aylad
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
The dpd./fas test in Ben's kit will test accurately up to 50 ppm. Alternatively, if you have one of the OTO kits that measures up to 3, you can dilute one part pool water with one part distilled water, and test from a thoroughly mixed sample, then multiply your results by 2. If still too yellow, then dilute 1:2 and multiply by 3. It's a ballpark, because you lose a little accuracy with each dilution, but it'll be enough to get you started.

What level of chlorine is safe for your pool depends on your CYA level, and you really need to have an accurate number to determine correct chlorine levels to kill the algae. If you stick with the best guess table, it'll be okay for your liner.

Janet