PDA

View Full Version : what would be more cost effective?

fog80
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
3-182 oz bottles of 6% bleach @ ~$7

or

5- 1lb bags of sock it (45% chlorine) @ ~$12

The only reason I'm even considering it is because the sock it is way easier to transport and doesnt contain CYA (according to the label).

Walmart seems to have a bunch of chlorine granules that say specifically "no CYA added".....i want to know how they compare price wise to regular bleach.

waterbear
04-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Looked it up on the net. It's cal hypo (calcium hypochlorite). Biggest drawback I can see is that you will be adding calcium to your pool constantly which will upset your water balance.

waste
04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
It depends on your water. If I'm right about your 'sock - it' it is calcium hypochlorite ~65% available chlorine. If you have a concrete pool and your CH test shows you need more, it's no problem. However, bleach doesn't add 'unwanted' stuff to the pool and usually costs less than a 'pool product' that adds the same amount of chlorine. As has been advocated elsewhere on this site, bleach is the way to go, unless you could stand to have some more (calcium, cya, etc) in the water.

fog80
04-08-2006, 10:12 PM
It depends on your water. If I'm right about your 'sock - it' it is calcium hypochlorite ~65% available chlorine. If you have a concrete pool and your CH test shows you need more, it's no problem. However, bleach doesn't add 'unwanted' stuff to the pool and usually costs less than a 'pool product' that adds the same amount of chlorine. As has been advocated elsewhere on this site, bleach is the way to go, unless you could stand to have some more (calcium, cya, etc) in the water.

i still need to do a calcium test to see where im at with that but this sock it stuff doesnt have any cya so i dont have to worry about that.

im just wondering how they match up price wise.

i was just crunching some numbers and i see that 182 oz of bleach at 6% would equate to 10.92 oz of chlorine per bottle. Multiply that by 3 and I get about 32.76 oz of chlorine for each 7 bucks i spend.

compare that to 5 lbs (80oz) of sock it at 45% chlorine and i get 36 oz of chlorine.

so essentially it is 36oz of chlorine at 12 bucks vs. 33 oz of chlorine at 7 bucks.

I think i'll use the two 5 lb boxes of sock it initially and go to bleach because it will save me 5 bucks (and not add any more calcium)

Thanks guys.

waste
04-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Fog, it's your pool and you can do what you want with it, reguardless of what I or anyone else here tells you to do. Following the standard poolforum advice, I'll tell you to get a good test kit before adding anything to your pool. If you do and will post your
cl
tcl
pH
TA - (total alkalinity)
ch - (calcium hardness)
cya -(cyanuric acid-or stabilizer)
Lots of people here will jump in and tell you exactly what and how much of all chems to add to your pool. If you have a vinal pool, you don't need the calcium that your 'sock-it' will add, but you'll need to take it into account when adjusting the chemistry in the future.
It's a tough concept for us Americans to deal with, but only add what your pool needs, in this case more isn't necessarily better.
Good luck with your pool, and know that the members of the poolforum are here to help if you need it! :)

fog80
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Fog, it's your pool and you can do what you want with it, reguardless of what I or anyone else here tells you to do. Following the standard poolforum advice, I'll tell you to get a good test kit before adding anything to your pool. If you do and will post your
cl
tcl
pH
TA - (total alkalinity)
ch - (calcium hardness)
cya -(cyanuric acid-or stabilizer)
Lots of people here will jump in and tell you exactly what and how much of all chems to add to your pool. If you have a vinal pool, you don't need the calcium that your 'sock-it' will add, but you'll need to take it into account when adjusting the chemistry in the future.
It's a tough concept for us Americans to deal with, but only add what your pool needs, in this case more isn't necessarily better.
Good luck with your pool, and know that the members of the poolforum are here to help if you need it! :)

And I appreciate the help. Im not trying to knock anyones advice (cause i know i need it) im just trying to make it a little easier on my back :)

As of right now:

cl-0 (my pool is a swamp right now with all the algae and crud at the bottom, i will be vacuuming tomorrow. I finished skimming all the leaves off the top today)
tc-0
ph-7.2
ta-100
cya-should be 30 (i had zero and added five pounds yesterday, so i wont know the true answer for a few days)
ch- i havent done a calcium hardness test yet.

I am going to begin supershocking the pool tonight to kill off the algae and try to bring my cl level up to standard.

ps. I have a 25k in ground concrete pool.

Thanks.