PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer water level

day1
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
We have an 34 x 18 AG pool w/the normal 1 skimmer and return....question is,
what will happen if water level gets at top of skimmer? I filled up alittle too high last nite (went out to eat w/hose in pool and forgot about it!) Anyway, it's raining hard now and pool is filling up even more. Guess I can just bw, but just did yesterday and added DE. I'm not complaining, my yard really needs the water down here in DFW area...but don't want to overfill pool.

tenax
07-04-2006, 05:03 PM
i have forgotten (once) to turn off my tap when topping up the pool and went over the skimmer, over the coping and 2 things happened.

a) the chlorine did a # on my grass

b) the skimmer doesn't develop that whirlpool swirly effect (matter of fact, even if not overfilled persay but higher than a certain level, you lose that effect and skimmer basket can bob around in the hole.

oh yeah..c) i suffered extreme embarrassment:)

day1
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
thanks, so I guess just don't get skimmer completely full. It does the tornado effect when I took the basket out to clean off the skimmer sock, so I'm prolly ok. Maybe we'll get the foot of rain we need so bad...then I'll just have to backwash or waste removal of water. No worries about grass...it's dying from the heat.

geordie
07-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Mine goes over the top of the skimmer pretty frequently due to heavy rains. My pool is only 48" so I like to keep it topped off. The skimmer doesn't work correctly if it goes above the line but that isn't the end of the world if you just backwash it back down to level. More of a concern is that water overflowing the skimmer can erode around and under the bottom of your pool if you let it go on too long.

tenax
07-04-2006, 06:42 PM
there is that geordie..quite honestly, if my water does go high and i'm not sure if i want to drain it some or let sit, i make sure ihave a good seal all around the pool where the liner meets the coping..