PDA

View Full Version : vacation question

mikemedic
07-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, I have been using the BBB message this year and it has worked great!. I had a high CYA at the beginning of the year and fixed with the partial drain method. Whoo, don't want to do that again.
SO my question is now that my CYA is about 80-90 I have been faithful in testing nightly and adjusting. I use maybe 1-1.5 gals of bleach daily in my 22,000 gal vinyl pool.

I am going to the beach and leaving my 19 yr old college stepson in charge of the pool. He spends most of his time playing games this summer on the net and I can barely get him out of the house.

Should I use 3 inch trichlor pucks in my hayward feeder i never use and allow cya to go inot my pool for 10 days? Have him fill up the feeder like last year?

Maybe have him add 1- 2 bottles of bleach per night and maybe use a strip every other night? I dont think he will get the dropper concept.

Help, should I use some trichlor in the feeder at low settings and have him add .75 gals each eve, that raises the free cl 2 ppm.

And maybe every third night have him add two .75 bottles?

Help
want to enjoy the beach and not come back to green

Mike

Watermom
07-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I am going to the beach and leaving my 19 yr old college stepson in charge of the pool. He spends most of his time playing games this summer on the net and I can barely get him out of the house.

You have one of those too? I hate to tell you, but they aren't much different at 21. :eek:

I would vote for having him add bleach. Maybe a bribe that if you come home to a clear pool then maybe you'll .................

I certainly wouldn't want to use any trichlor in your pool since you have just worked hard to lower your cya and it is still a little high. Good luck.

CarlD
07-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Keep it simple.

Have him add 1 gallon of bleach every other night--that should be fine.

You'll probably have to phone him to remind him, too.

Summer I turned 19 I spent the first half roaming all over Westchester and Putnam Counties north of NYC fixing sewing machines for Singer. Second half I spent working as a stage hand for the NY Shakespeare Festival's Mobile Theater--"What The Winesellers Buy" was the show (not Shakespeare). Got to see ALL the worst sections of NYC...and most of the Subway and Bus system.

That was 1974.

geordie
07-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Sorry folks but they aren't generally much better by 24. I've seen a slight improvement and our daughter is certainly much more pleasant than at 16, but I'm still waiting for the common sense factor to kick in.

If your 19 year old will add bleach every couple of days then you are ahead of the game. My daughter comes home while we're on vacation for the free laundry room, but I can't even get her to turn the filter on for a few hours. She claims she doesn't know how. brother...

Jean

mikemedic
07-04-2006, 12:14 PM
lol, thanks for all the replies. His girlfriend who lives 2 house down( nice).lmao is pretty mature. It is nice to know we all have lazy kids. When I was young i took care of the family pool and if it wasnt right..BOOM...Dad stepped in.

What has happened to the younger generation?

Ok, my plan is to have him add a .75 bottle every eve after the sun goes down, he sleeps till at least 3 pm now that he is on summer break. Maybe every 3rd day I will have him add 2 bottles ( 1.5 gals)

I have tracked my usage for june nad thats pretty much where I am at now.

I will also have have him do a test strip a few times, just to keep us in the ballpark.

I took a pic of a strip that shows decent levels so he has a reference

Happy 4th....

Cost of a toddler,,,,, 10,000....
Cost of a teenager,,,, 100,000....
A clear sparkling pool....priceless....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarlD
07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
What has happened to the younger generation?

LMAO! EVERY generation going back to Socrates has asked that very question!

"Young man in a carriage
driving like he's mad.

With a pair of horses
he borrowed from his dad.

Snaps the whip so smartly
just to see the ladies smile,

'Cuz they know he's only....

Puttin' on the style!" -- Old folk song.

Nothing ever changes under the sun!

jereece
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I assume your son will use the pool while you are away, but if you ever go on vacation with no one there, here's what I do.

Punch one ~1/8 inch hole in top and one or two in the bottom of a set of bleach bottles and string them out over my pool. I use one bleach bottle for every day I will be gone.

http://www.jreece.com/bleach1.jpg
http://www.jreece.com/bleach2.jpg

The density of bleach is 1.09 (slightly heavier than water) so it slowly leaches out of the bottles. My experience is that it takes 5-7 days to totally get out of the bottle with 1/8 inch holes. I also run my pool pump using a timer.

mikemedic
07-04-2006, 07:26 PM
that is so cool, your a genious!
I like the bleach and the hole
I will put that in the memory bank.

He will be here so I can convince him to add evening bleach, he use to add pucks for me

Bur for future years if he ever leaves I like the idea of the holes

Mike

lizzie64
07-04-2006, 07:42 PM
JEREECE - that is a great idea. Thanks for posting the pics.

We just converted to BBB from baquacil and going away for 10 days in August. We were wondering what we should do as the house will be left alone.

Adding to the youth conversation - Today was an absolutely beautiful day. 18 year old son came out side once for maybe 10 minutes and spent every minute of the rest of the day playing his video games. I'm sick about it, but I guess it's normal:(

Sardian
07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
JEREECE - that is a great idea. Thanks for posting the pics.

We just converted to BBB from baquacil and going away for 10 days in August. We were wondering what we should do as the house will be left alone.

Adding to the youth conversation - Today was an absolutely beautiful day. 18 year old son came out side once for maybe 10 minutes and spent every minute of the rest of the day playing his video games. I'm sick about it, but I guess it's normal:(

When I was a kid it was too dang hot to spend the day in the house.....no matter how hot it was outside it was hotter inside. Maybe turn the a/c off while your gone and he'll be spending a lot of time in the pool (where he can take care of it) ;-)

lizzie64
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I've tried that. LOL
Actually since the pool pump goes on, I try to keep the a/c higher. Usually at 84. WHen you're outside and come in it does feel refreshing. Although I must admit to dropping it to 77 at night because I can't sleep.

Maybe I'll have to keep the a/c at 90 during the day.

:(