PDA

View Full Version : Buying New Pump - Need Advice on Brand / Size etc.

Gwendolyn
04-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi! We have a 6 year old, 27 foot round Vogue pool and it is approx. 18,000 gallons. The pump that died was a Hayward 1.5 hp. It has a 18 inch sand filter that holds 150 pounds. We live in Georgia where it is hot and humid. We need a new pump and maybe a filter too. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best pump and best size pump and filter to get for this pool? Should we replace both at the same time? The pool store has mentioned Hayward and Dynamo Pumps. I know our power bill in the past has been outrageous, so I want to get the most economical too. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Gwen

vinnygnj
04-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I have a 24' pool with a 1 hp Dymo (Pentair) pump and a Star 50 (Pentair again) DE filter. Both have worked well for me although I had to buy a new pump last year as the pump had siezed up. It was outside for 4 years and this winter I moved it into the garage to keep it better (hopefully).

I run it about 7 hours a day and it does a good job. It has been mentioned about using a 2 speed pump and leaving it on all summer on low speed - this should be less costly.

I would recommend it but I would say if you filter is good just replace the pump. You probably can get a 1 HP pump and be fine. You didn't say how long per day you ran it but try to run it only 8 or 9 hours a day.

JoshU
04-09-2006, 01:57 AM
As mentioned above you can run a dual-speed pump. Basically it runs at a low speed 24 hours a day and then you can boost it up to high speed when you add chemicals, vac the pool, etc.

If you're filter is still good then I would keep it. But if something looks like it may break soon you might aswell replace it all at once.

Josh

mas985
04-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Here are a couple of good sites to help you decide what pump you need:

http://poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml
http://www.poolspa.com/publications/sin/stories/pumps.htm

kaybinster
04-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I would go to the manufacturer site for your existing pump and find out what the pump performance curve looks like. Then assuming you are happy with the way it performed find one that has similar pumping characteristics.