PDA

View Full Version : Can't use BBB with Auto Sanitizer, right?

denanbob
07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
We bought our 15x30 AGP used and it came with a pump, filter and Perform Max automatic sanitizer. I thought it sounded like a great idea for easy upkeep until I read this forum. I did buy the 1" trichlor tablets for the santizer today and planned on using them until I could figure out how to use the BBB method. I imagine there is no way to use both the sanitizer with the BBB method. So I should chuck the auto sanitizer?

Also, had my well water tested today at the pool place and they said to add 1 cup of muriatic acid and then to shock it a few hours later to get the chlorine going. Is this ok?

denanbob
07-01-2006, 09:35 PM
The pool store guy told me to put in 1 cup muriatic acid because of my alkalinity but the sticky on this forum says it is to lower PH. My PH is at 7.2 so I certainly don't want to lower it.

I'm confused!!! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help!

Watermom
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
What is your alk? Post current water testing readings and someone here will try and advise you. (use a drops based kit - no test strips.)

denanbob
07-02-2006, 12:41 PM
What is your alk? Post current water testing readings and someone here will try and advise you. (use a drops based kit - no test strips.)

Ok, here is my readings from my just-filled pool using our well. No chlorine has been added yet, so here it is fresh from the well:

TC - 0
TA - 280ppm
PH - 7.2
hardness - 450ppm (yikes!)

I didn't test CYA since I haven't added anything yet and my test kit says it only has enough in it to test it twice. I have the 6 way test kit from WalMart but I don't think I can test for the CC separate from the FC, right? Thanks for your help everyone! Pool store guy said to add a cup of muriatic acid and then shock the pool and then use my tablets in my sanitizer from then on out and still shock once a week. I'd like to use everyone else's method of BBB, so how do I get started? Thanks so much!

CarlD
07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
No reason you cannot use B-B-B and an SWG

denanbob
07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks Carl, but we're not using an SWG, just an automatic chlorinator (takes the pucks/sticks/tablets that you hate). LOL! So maybe I'll just disconnect it and use bleach instead.

I'm hoping someone will comment on my numbers in my above post and tell me what to do about those super high Alk and hardness numbers. :o

Poolsean
07-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Typical treatment for high TA is to aerate your water. Your pH seems to be low enough to do this simply by pointing your return jets towards the surface of the water, so as to cause it to churn. If you have a pool/spa combo, divert the water through the spa so that it overflows into the pool, causing the churning effect to aerate the water.
Another solution to lower these parameters is to test your source water first to make sure that it is lower than what your pool tests show. If so, you can dump some pool water, maybe a foot at a time, and refill with the water that has the lower alkalininty and calcium hardness.
Test frequently to make sure your levels are dropping.
Actually, if you reduce your TA and maintain your pH low, your high calcium will not cause a problem.
Make sure you do not use any calcium hypochlorite to shock your pool, as this will only add more calcium to your water.