PDA

View Full Version : Cracking and Settling of Pool

zeccolav
04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
My 36x16 with a 12 foot lap extension vinyl liner inground pool is 5 years old. Last summer we noted an enlarging crack in the concrete slab supporting the bottom of the pool in the shallow end where the lap extension is. The entire lap end of the pool appears to be sinking. The concrete in the pool bottom does not have reinforcing rebar, but does have some kind of fiberglass threads in the mix. The pool is built from interlocking plastic panels which have concrete poured around the bases and are all tied together with the surrounding surface slab. It was supposed to be the "most stable indestructible construction possible". My builder says he is not responsible for settling.
The pool was built on previously undisturbed ground, in soil which is heavy clay with loose shale rock mixed in. We don't have earthquakes here.
Do I have to have the entire lap lane area dug out, refilled and rebuilt? How should new construction be connected to old? How do I prevent this from happening again in another 5 years. The expense of it looks huge and very discouraging.