PDA

View Full Version : Pool Stores

Dr. Spike
06-30-2006, 01:45 AM
I wasn't sure where this fits so I put it here. Mods, please move this to the proper place if it doesn't fit here.

Just a rant about the pool stores in the area.

After learning so much on here, and following the teachings, my pool is quite low maintenance. My water is crystal clear, and none of that chlorine smell.

I do still go to the pool stores, just not for chemicals. Just for parts, the closest LPS has great prices on parts, better then most I have found on-line.

Anyway, to my rant. :D

Every time I go into the LPS, I can't help but overhear the conversations between the clerks and the customers (Ok, I am a bit nosey). I just want to shout out and tell them NO!! That is WRONG!

The thing that ticks me off is that the PS people act as though they want what is best for you pool, maybe they do, BUT most of the time it leads into, buy this or buy that. It just seems like they want your money and don't really care if they help you or your pool.

Some of the things I have heard at the pool store:

Clerk: "Alkalinity is the most important, don't worry about pH."

Clerk: "Non-Chlorine Shock works much better than a chlorine shock."

Clerk: "Never use house hold liquid bleach in a pool."

Clerk: "You don't need a weir, I don't even know why they use them."
(LOL that made me laugh out loud, I had to walk out of the store)

Clerk: "Combined Chlorine is nothing to worry about, no reason to test for it."
Customer: "The print out says that it is high."
Clerk: "They just put that on there, don't worry about it. You can't do anything about it anyway." :eek:

Clerk: "Get you Saturation Index tested often, it is important."
Customer: "How do I adjust it?"
Clerk: "Not real sure, but just make sure you add the chemicals that are on the print out."

Clerk: "Listen to me, I am the best thing for your pool! You need to buy..."

Clerk: "Make sure to add x amount of algaecide weekly."
Customer: "I don't have algae."
Clerk: "Well you don't want it, do you?"

That was just a few that stuck out in my head.

I am so happy that I found this forum! My pool is much less work than I thought it would be. Chemical costs are also far less than I had figured. (Thanks to BBB!)

My many thanks to Ben (PoolDoc), for having this great site, and his wisdom, all of the moderators (CarlD, Watermom, aylad (Janet), Poconos (Al)), for their hard work and fast responses to people in need, and all of the knowledgeable people here! (duraleigh (Dave S.), waterbear (Evan B.) get special mention as you two stick out in my mind). If I missed any one, thanks to you too! :)

/end rant

~Dr. Spike

Watermom
06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
I, too seldom go in a pool store except to buy a new net, etc. And, when I do, I have to hold my tongue. I was in there a few weeks ago looking at new liners and the guy in line was being told he needed this and that and more and more -- all baquajunk products. Who knows what his bill was when it was all totaled up! The guy who owns the store is a really nice guy and I do buy there if I need replacement equipment, etc., but he has quit asking if I need my water tested. He already knows the answer to that!;)

tenax
06-30-2006, 08:53 AM
much the same here..part of the reason is that the only local pool store darn well knows it, charging 40% more for their chems than places online and in bigger centres. so, i get that..but i don't get lack of knowledge in a specialty store..just not acceptable, especially at the price of pool/spa product. a mistake could cost someone hundreds if not 1,000's of dollars. my beef goes back to last year for 2 issues.

1) i needed a new screw for my pool light (they do my close down and had not left it anywhere i could locate after closing). i went into the store and the owner was not there and sure enough the one guy who was there knew nothing about screws for lights, even though i had the model #, manufacture and they had supplied. he gave me about 3 , none that fit. so i steer clear when he's the only one around.

2) their are a couple of different guys who close the pool and each do it differently in terms of what they disconnect..i do my own setup so it's always a bit of a "ok.what did they take apart now" game. not a big deal, but last year whomever did it cut through a pipe with a saw. i told the owner when i setup in may about this and he said 'why would they have done that?" i said darn good question, why dont' you ask THEM? he gave me parts to fix it up but no note left or nothing..he speculated a fitting may not have come apart which i quickly squashed as a theory.

i've just redone my plumbing which was likely about 13 years old and redid it with minimal joints (only joints on pool side of pump are at the pump itself and on the 2 valves (all those big knurl quick release joints)

anyone cuts a pipe this fall, i'm going "postal on the pool store":)

CarlD
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Nothing new here under the sun, but it still is good for a horse-laugh!

There is one pool store near my office (one of 7!) that charges more for most stuff, sometimes ridiculously more (house brand Polyquat for $35/quart--is that INSANE or what?). So why do I go there? Because they have the parts I need, know what parts I need and can help with advice on them. The prices are higher--I'm paying for GOOD advice. I don't question them on chems...why make trouble?

You see, as much as I rant about people getting "Pool-Stored", I KNOW that these folks are mostly playing back what they've been told. They haven't done research, haven't seen how OUR methods work better, faster and more reliably--they are this generation's Flat-Earthers. In other words, they just don't know better. Getting in someone's face and telling them everything they know is wrong is not the way to convince them.

So I tell them I use liquid chlorine--I don't need to tell them it comes in a jug that says "Laundry Bleach"...They sell LC, but most don't know it's the same thing!

Actually, LOTS of pool store clerks are aware that the same chems may be available as generics and, if the boss ain't around, are cool with it.

But I need them for parts, accessories, and the few chems that you gotta get from them. There will be those with an agenda--usually in the lower quality stores.

I can do much on-line, and sometimes I do. But who doesn't like to go to a store, see it, touch it, then buy it?

But we are changing attitudes here, one algae-filled pool at a time!

tenax
06-30-2006, 11:12 AM
good points, carl. to your point about experience.yep, pretty easy to tell who's been around the block or not. the guy i know best who is a spa pool installer is amazing..he's not often around, but happened to be yesterday when i picked up my supplies to replumb..he hasn't been to my pool in 2 years but remembered the exact setup, that one of the valves i was replacing was a blade type, the other ball and he said it would cost me about $80 canadian to replace the parts. the owner sent him off to box it up, the guy brought them back and the bill came to $77...had the stuff in 5 minutes and was on my way.(it took longer for my visa approval for the purchase then to talk to the guy and box the parts!)

Dr. Spike
06-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I guess for the most part the pool store is like any other retail store. The people working there are doing just that, working there. They don't necessarily know what they are selling, just what they have been told.

I would hope that the owners would know or learn about pools, but what can you do? :)

I do get some good advice on parts for the owner of one of the stores, great people there too, always remember everything about the pool, and they only know what I told them.

waterbear
06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Actually, LOTS of pool store clerks are aware that the same chems may be available as generics and, if the boss ain't around, are cool with it.

I resemble that statement!:D

giroup01
06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
This just happened to me today:

Me: Hi, I'm looking for a DPD test kit

Clerk: We don't sell that brand we have these (pointing to house brand blue boxes, OTO)

Last year:

Me: (trick question): How many ppm stabilizer am I adding to a 8000 gallon pool with this pouch?

Clerk: You don't measure stabilizer in ppm, you measure it by what you put in your pool, you add one pouch now and another in July.

Unbeleivable...