PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Tricks for testing for debris coming from return

nicole12
06-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Wanted to know if there were any tips/tricks out there for installing some type of panty hose or other filtering medium on the return to check for debris. I used regular ol' pantyhose but I think the jet was a little too strong and stretched the panty hose so much that the dirt/dust would get through.

I have a filter sock that I was trying to come up with a way to hook it or attach it to the return to check for debris. Before with the panty hose I unscrewed the return covered it and screwed it back on. The filter sock is a little too thick to do that.

I know there is a product for that "slime bags" but I don't feel like spending the $30-$40 for them when I could possibly do something with what I already have.

matt4x4
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
you know what, your pool probably picks up more dust in 10 seconds from the water surface area exposed to the surrounding air than your return would push back into the pool during vacuuming, i really wouldn't worry about it unless you're really really bored.

tenax
06-30-2006, 11:15 AM
just a thought as i've read these types of posts before with a filter over skimmer and such..just my humble opinion, but i think it defeats the purpose. if you are getting return into your pool, from my own sand filter experience..this tells me when it happens it's time to backwash that filter....i would be concerned about 'masking" the real issue with a homemade filtering system on a pool.