PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Film?

pedsrn
06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm helping my brother convert from baq to chlorine (this is the fourth family member I've converted to chlorine since I converted last year..lol), so he's calling me 10 times a day with questions..lol. I have not seen his pool lately, but he says there is a white film on the liner. He used baq for years, so I figure it is calcium.?? I got him to go get a drop test today and his ph is reading 7.6. I am going to go tomorrow to do a full test with Ben's kit to get better numbers before we start adjusting-right now I've just got him doing the chlorine conversion. My question..

Is this film calcium or high ph levels OR does it even matter which one it is...moreover, how can you remove it?

Thanks in advance!!

Watermom
06-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I recently had a major rip in my liner and thus had to replace it. I was surprised to find out that when the pool was drained, my liner was totally white when it was dry. When it was wet, it was blue. I could rub and have a white chalky substance on my fingers, so I know it was calcium. This was surprising because my calcium hardness reading has always been very low - like around 100. At any rate, since I was replacing the liner, I didn't try and remove the calcium, so I can't help you there.

waterbear
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
does it look like wet tissue paper? If so it could be white mold which is commen in pools running biguinde for a few years.