PDA

View Full Version : Potentially dangerous electrical problem?

pabolden
06-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Strange and potentially dangerous problem…I think. About a week after opening our pool the pool light started tripping the GFI switch. I would turn it on and after 5 to 10 seconds it would cut off. About a week later the light started working fine, no problem for about 2 weeks straight. Then yesterday the light started tripping the GFI again. Today it was fine. Anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

Thanks,
Paul

traceyb
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
do you have it hooked up with another circuit. Usually lights need to be on a totally separate circuit than the pump for better safety. It's good to have at least two boxes...one for the pump/filter etc, and one for the pool light. Then of course how ever many you need elsewhere, around your deck etc.
Or if your breaker box is maxed out or close, you might need a separate breaker for "pool" plug ins.

posguy
06-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Was it raining when it trips, was it dry for the 2 weeks it worked. GFCI is "funny" with moisture. There is another thread about GFCI breakers and the things they do.

Anthony

pabolden
06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello Traceyb and Anthony,

Yes Traceyb the lights are on a separate breaker from everything else. Anthony, the rain question is a difficult one as we have gotten a lot a rain so far this season but no more than in past years. I have not been able to make a correlation with the weather for example wednesday the light kept tripping the switch and it was a dry day. The next day, Thursday, the light worked and we had a major thunderstorm, the light came on directly after the storm, no problem. Today, Friday morning, the day after the storm, I turned the light on and its been on for hours. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

posguy
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
So its on its own GFCI breaker? So the pump should have its own breaker. As a test (if you feel comfortable and familiar around electricity, you could be electrocuted if your not sure what you are doing) shut both pump and light breakers off, you could disconnect the wire going to the "light" breaker and put it to the "pump" breaker(you must disconnect the pump wire and leave it disconnected while trying this. This way you could see if the problem travels...what I mean is, if the problem still occurs, breaker trips, its not the breaker, its the wiring past breaker or light itself. I think GFCI breakers are pricey, so this could be a quick test.

Anthony

pabolden
07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the suggest Anthony, quite logical!

Paul

CarlD
07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
So its on its own GFCI breaker? So the pump should have its own breaker. As a test (if you feel comfortable and familiar around electricity, you could be electrocuted if your not sure what you are doing) shut both pump and light breakers off, you could disconnect the wire going to the "light" breaker and put it to the "pump" breaker(you must disconnect the pump wire and leave it disconnected while trying this. This way you could see if the problem travels...what I mean is, if the problem still occurs, breaker trips, its not the breaker, its the wiring past breaker or light itself. I think GFCI breakers are pricey, so this could be a quick test.

Anthony

I disagree. GFCI breakers are dirt cheap. Hospital bills and funerals are pricey--it just depends on your perspective.