PDA

View Full Version : Filtering well water into autofill

kearpaul
06-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Now folks, my biggest pool hassle. You have been so gracious answering my other posts/problems. Sink your teeth into this one:

The pool is a new plaster IG, about 20,000 gallons. It was filled with City water. We are, however, on a well. The well water has metals -- no surprise there. The house water gets treated with an iron filter and pressure tank. When the pool builder put in the autofill, no attempt was made to filter the incoming water, rendering the autofill system useless. (Unless you like a green cloudy pool.)

How do we refill, you ask? With a garden hose that is downstream from a landscape sprinkler filter (Iguana). And we put a washcloth over the hose end.

Naturally, we would like to get autofill back on line. My only idea is to tap into the autofill valve, adding a standalone filter, with rinse/replace cartridges. I think I could pull my plumber off his trimaran long enough to do the job. But I have no idea what to buy. Any advice would be appreciated. Or is there another solution?

Cheers,
Paul

I think television is referred to as a medium because it is so rarely well done.

Ernie Kovacs

PatL34
06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
I would repipe the autofill after the iron filter, or add an iron filter before the autofill as you suggest. The less metals you can get into the pool the better. I have to use softened water for refilling because of the SWCG.

Pat

mshumack
06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I have the same issue as you - an autofill coming off a well.
I was planning buying a Slime Bag (filters iron and other minerals) and insert it into the autofill as a liner. Of course, every so often I would need to check it and remove it for cleaning. The cleaning cycle would depend on level of minerals in water and how much well water passes through the autofiller.
I have a (small) Slime Bag now that I used when filling the pool with the garden hose (before Tanker arived to finish job). I know the slime bag works. I believe the slime bag autofill liner idea will work - but I have not purchased a large enough bag to do as I am suggesting above. So I have no actual experience yet with this idea.
Good Luck.

kearpaul
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Just a followup to this.

I put a Slime Bag (4x10 inch housing) inline and upstream from my autofill valve. It's working great. At $300, it's not a bargain solution. But the pool water's staying clear and I don't worry about putting a hose into the pool to fill.

Cheers from the Sierra Foothills,
Paul

Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain