PDA

View Full Version : I'm back.....

ellenicol
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Don't know if any of you remember me but I was new here a few weeks ago. I just had gotten all my materials for our pool to do the BBB method and the liner broke. Long story short is was almost just as expensive to fix the old pool(really old) as it was to get a new one. We got a new one. It's in the backyard currently about halfway full. Should be ready to turn on the pump and filter tomorrow night.
I really would like to know if there is anything I should be doing to the water now. It's city water so I imagine there is some chlorine in it but I haven't tested it yet. Then also what's the first thing I should do when the pump is running. The water is so clean and pretty now and I really would like to keep it that way. Thanks for any insight or help. Ellen

Phillbo
06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Ask your builder and follow his instructions.. a little liquid bleach to hold it over would not hurt but ask your builder. You don't want to give them any excuse if you have problems down the road.

Watermom
06-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Test your fill water and post your results here. PH, alk, calcium hardness and chlorine levels.

ellenicol
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks.
I'm just about ready to turn pump and filter on. In a few hours. Tested the water

Ph 6.8
Alk 20
Chl 0
Cya (didn't test for this although I'm pretty sure there is none)

Ellen

aylad
06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
You need to raise your pH to the 7.2-7.8 range, and quickly--anything below 7.0 can damage your liner. You can use 20 Mule Team Borax for this. Your Alk needs to come up to the 80-120 range. Baking soda will do this. However, you can raise both at once by using soda ash (Washing soda). You also need to get some chlorine in your water, approx 1-3 ppm for now. Add stabilizer, enough to shoot for 20-30 ppm, added either in the skimmer or in a nylon or tube sock tied in front of a return (don't retest or backwash for a week, since it takes a LONG time for it to dissolve). In the meantime, you need to test for and add chlorine daily, since with 0 CYA the sun will consume all of your chlorine.

Janet

Watermom
06-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Probably for the first few days until you get a cya reading, you'll actually need to test and add bleach (chlorine) a couple times a day - morning and evening. After that, you'll be able to go to evening only.

ellenicol
06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Can you refresh my memory on where to find out how much borax and stuff I need to add to change my chemicals. I have the bleach calc, but I don't know how much borax to put in to change ph. Any advice or tips are apprecitated. Right now we are getting a thunder storm and I can't go out. I also am waiting for my dh to hook up the solar panels so I can get everything going. Can I add chemicals before I start the filter?? Thanks so much. I love how people are so helpful here. ~ E

Watermom
06-29-2006, 07:07 PM
The upper left corner of the bleach calc has more calcs. However, there isn't one to tell how much Borax to add. How many gallons is your pool? If you are going to be starting the pump/filter in the next day, I'd just wait to add chemicals. Otherwise, you can add things slowly and then take a clean broom and stir the water around to mix them. (I wouldn't wait to long to hook up the pump/filter. The solar panels can always be added later.)