PDA

View Full Version : SWG Salt Levels

gwrace1
04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I own a round 26K gallon AG pool.

According to my salt test kit and the Aquarite display setting at 2600PPM I needed to add some salt this week to the system. I did this slowly over a 3 day period. The chart that Aquarite provides indicated that I needed to add 130lbs to the pool. I added two 60lb bags over a three day period giving the pump time to circulate the newly added salt. On the 3rd day I could not get the Aquarite to show any reading from the controller other than 2600PPM. Overnight it has now jumped to 3600PPM. It appears I now need to drain and dilute some of the pool water. Can you tell me how much water I need to replace in order to obtain 3200 PPM. I also want to confirm this reading with my salt test kit when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the help.

waterbear
04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
3600ppm is a bit high (I shoot for 32-3400 ppm with my aqualogic from goldline) but you really don't need to do anything. the salt level will drop of it's own accord over time becuase of splashout, rain, etc. realize that the readout is measuing conductivity and not acutal chloride ions in the water so it might be higher than an acual chloride ion test and will also change with temperature and pH variations. if the aquaright is like the aqualogic it can give 'average' and instant' salt readings. the averge reading will change slowly so what you described is not unusual. The instant reading will give you the actual salt in the pool at that instant and then becomes the new average reading.

gwrace1
04-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the information. I didn't know what the controller was measuring to come up with the salt reading. We had a thunderstorm last night that probably dumped a couple of inches of rain. I'm going to wait and see if that changes the reading/test before doing anything else.

scoobiedoob
04-08-2006, 12:34 AM
We have about the same size pool and we ran 3600-3700 ppm for several months last year. All testing was fine... I don't think you'll have a problem.