PDA

View Full Version : Water Still Cloudy

satj
06-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Our pool is a 18' x 4' AG Intex pool, we had a problem with an "Algea Attack", got that taken care of, but now can't seem to clear up the pool. It looks amost like we put "Salt" into and stirred it up! Seems kind of "Milky" looking. It's vacuumed, filtered, cleaned every day. Had to raise the Chlorine level pretty high to kill the algea, and can't seem to bring it Down now. Have not added Bleach in 3 days! Wondering if high Chlorine level could be the problem? And do i need to bring the level down, and if so, how?

TC-5+
PH-7.6
Alk-160
CYA-50

Not sure if these are all the Numbers anyone needs to help me, but its all i have.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

duraleigh
06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Satj,

There's probably a 95% chance that MORE chlorine, not less, will clear your pool.

I suggest adding enough chlorine to bring your total to 15ppm (not less) and then adding as often as you can to hold 15ppm. Keep your pump running 24/7 during this process. Vacuum frequently

To get a rough idea of where your Cl is now, dilute your test pool water with 50% distilled water and test. If your result is 4pp, that means you have 8ppm in your pool. Add enough Cl to your pool to get 7 more ppm and HOLD IT THERE (15ppm) 'til your water clears up. May take a couple of days or so. Backwash or clean your filter often, whichever is applicable.

satj
06-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Wife just let me know.........says her hair (Blonde) is turning Green!
HELP!

mbar
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Did you use a copper algacide? Copper in the water will turn blonde hair green.

ladybug_3777
06-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Sounds like copper to me too. Does your pool have a bit of a green haze to it also? Copper is not fun to get rid of and leads into more water problems like I just went through. Took us about 2 weeks to recover from our copper issue and get things started back to normal.

I've heard the 3 most common causes of copper are:

1) Pools with heaters (this was my problem)
2) Using too much algecide (the kind that contains copper)
3) Filling with well water

Considering the fact that you just treated an alge issue, you might want to take a peek at the back of your algecide bottle. If it contains copper and your wife's hair is turning green you might want to look at getting some metal control. Remember you can't treat metal until your chlorine level drops to below 1ppm.

My fingers are crossed for you that its not copper though. One thing to also check... anyone getting blue fingernails? I've heard that is also a sign of copper in the water. Bring it to your local pool store and make sure they test for it. We found out that our pool store doesn't normally do so unless you ask. That's how ours got out of control.

brent.roberts
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
what did you use to shock the pool ??

Pool store stuff often contains copper ( makes green hair etc ) and some have lots of calcium that can percipitate out making milky water.

This is why the methods on this formum almost always suggest using plain bleach. There's nothing else in there to screw up your hair of turn the pool milky.

You also need to tell us what your free chlorine and total chlorine is. Without knowing that we can't tell if you have any, or much combined chlorine. That will give us a pretty good idea if you still have algae in the water or minerals causing the milkiness.

Algicide should only be added AFTER the algae is killed off, and even then it is optional. Many of us on this forum find that chlorine is all that is needed. Some add algicide as a " belt and suspenders both" program. In any case the only algicide to use is the poly quot 60%. It will not cause foaming and will not turn your hair green(er).