PDA

View Full Version : When to make Chlorine?

Karin
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
We have a SWCG and I normally run it for about 6-8 hours every day starting at 8am. Is there a better time to run it and recirculate the water?

I was reading a tip from Ben about adding chlorine at night for a more effective sanitizer. Since the pump is on the other side of the house, I guess I could do that.

When does everyone else run their Salt Chlorine Generators?

Adding chlorine to your swimming pool in the evening, instead of the morning can reduce cut your chemical costs in half.

Why? At night, chlorine is used up doing useful work in your pool, like oxidizing all that sweat and sun-tan lotion from your pool party. During the day, it mostly is wasted -- lost to UV in the sunlight.

Depending on stabilizer levels, and sunshine, you can lose half of the chlorine in the pool in as little as 30 minutes! Even when your swimming pool is stabilized, you can lose half the sanitizer in your pool in 4 hours. But, at night, all of the chlorine used up, was used up doing something useful to your pool water!

waterbear
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
There is a difference in manually chlorinating a pool and using a SWG. When you add chlorine manually you add it all at once. With a SWG a little is being added through out the pump run time.
I run my pump for 8 hours in N FL ....5 hours from 10 am to 3 pm and then three more hours from 6 to 9 pm.

Theusla
06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
There is a difference in manually chlorinating a pool and using a SWG. When you add chlorine manually you add it all at once. With a SWG a little is being added through out the pump run time.
I run my pump for 8 hours in N FL ....5 hours from 10 am to 3 pm and then three more hours from 6 to 9 pm.

What is the advantage of doing a split run time?

Tredge
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I run my filter at night and SWG mostly 24/7, but I'd run it at night if I didnt run it all the time. Mostly because I get a cheaper electricity rate at night.

Sunlight destroys chlorine, it doesnt matter where it comes from. Not sure if that affects how you should opperate a SWG for optimal cell life.

waste
06-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Tredge, I can't go agaist Ben (not that it's illegal, just that he knows sooo much more than I). However, with an auto chlorinator, I suggest turning it on manually when people are using the pool and letting it run for 1/2 hour after they finnish swimming - this puts cl in the water as the 'bad' stuff is going in (having everyone rinse off before entering the pool will lessen the cl demand). I usually recommend a 'split' run time to allow the chlorinator to run while the pool is in use and a cycle at night to do as Ben says and let the chlorine really do it's job when there is no interference from bathers or sun. Hope this makes sense - Waste
Karin, hope this sheds some light for you as well, welcome, all, to the forum!!