PDA

View Full Version : Oh My Toe!

Theusla
06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
We have family coming from out of state next month so I was cleaning up around the pool. Everything needs to look nice when they come. I was dragging a 55 gallon trash barrel to the back corner of the yard. It took a bad hop and landed on my big toe.:eek:
I was hopping around like a one legged kangaroo. Saying some not so nice words.:p Good thing the neighbor kids were not outside.
I had just finished mowing the yard and was ready to jump in the pool when I got through with this little chore. Spent the rest of the day in the house with my foot propped up.:rolleyes:

Oh well, I will just have to spend more time in the pool this weekend to make up for it.

NWMNMom
06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
OUCH! You couldn't spend the rest of the day in the pool with your foot propped up????

(BTW, if it was at my house, our parrots would ALL be repeating everything you said out there AND be repeating it when the company arrives!! lol)

tundraSQ
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I tore the "big" toe nail off fathers day weekend...OUCH...plus lots of bad words were spoken...i sat on a float the rest of the day and had people bring me beers...:D

I sure wish I had them bring me lotion as I got fried!!!!:eek:

Theusla
06-28-2006, 10:20 AM
lol, I don't need a parrot repeating what I say. :)

Sorry about the sunburn, I would have floated but I don't think I could talk my wife into bringing me the drinks. :p

poolbuoy
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
This is what happens when you pressure wash your leg...

Theusla
06-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Ouch! Skin is not as tough as concrete. ;)

KirstenHW
06-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I am wincing in sympathy!! Although my big toe injury was not pool related, it has caused me over 5 years of sorrow. I had a large trunk fall on it at the airport on my way back from working a trade show. To make a long story short, my primary Dr took xrays, said it wasn't broken but the nail would fall off (duh).

What he SHOULD have done was send me posthaste to a podiatrist. After 3 years, it never grew back right and I had a massive fungal infection. By the time I saw the podiatrist, they had to remove the nail twice, treat me with 2 courses of Lamisil, and its still not right. I have half a nail (treating with Penlac now) and at least I know I can attach a fake one for special occasions. He actually tried to convince me to permanently remove it. NO THANKS. Half a toe nail beats none any day.

Morale of the story: SEE A PODIATRIST. It's not trivial!
Hope it feels better soon!

cwstnsko
06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
As stated above, Toe injuries are not to be taken lightly. I just brought a friend home from Rehab who had a big-toe injury gone bad. When she was treating it, she somehow get a strepp infection into the sore. After lots of bad stuff happening, she no longer has a big toe and she's been in the hospital / rehab for almost 3 months. She'll walk with a giant plastic boot for the next year or more. I will never take a toe injury lightly again.

Theusla
06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
I am keeping a close eye on it. Luckily it hit close to the end of the nail so it bled out and did not build up under the nail. I am not going to loose the toe nail. Whew!

When I limped in the house with my sock soaked in blood my wife got more excited than I was. ;) The toe was numb at this point so it really didn't hurt much. When I had my sock about half way off I stopped, Hmm, it doesn't hurt now. If I take my sock off and my toe is mangled then it will really hurt. :p Oh well, gotta look sooner or later.

All this time the cat is making circles trying to figure out what is going on.

It is still sore but all things considered I came out pretty lucky.

Pool_Mike
07-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Ouch. See this is why my boots are made for walking.

Pool_Mike
07-01-2006, 01:16 AM

Damn.... you in stead should of burned yourself :p

CarlD
07-01-2006, 07:32 AM
I usually keep a pair of steel-toed boots around for when I'm doing that kind of work. I had a pair when I was working as a carpenter, almost 30 years ago, and within 2 weeks dropped a log on my foot! The boots had paid for themselves right then and there. They were cheap Thom McCanns (remember them) and I was ever more grateful--and always worked in steel-toes after that. I always figured that anything that can crush the steel toe and damage my foot would have been FAR worse without the steel toe.

medvampire
07-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by poolbuoy

Watch that wound we had one that had that same type of injury. The wound got infected and he had a large chunk of the back of his leg removed. The more powerfil pressure washer can inject fluid in to the skin.:eek:

CarlD
I have heard guys whine about steel toe boots. I have seen the results of accidents with and with out them. I wear my steel toe boots any time my toes are at risk. :D
Steve

matt4x4
07-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Pressure washing yourself is not a good idea, frequent showers with soap are more effective.
Those stickers that show you not to wash your pet with a pressure washer give most an indication you probably shouldn't use it on yourself or the dirty kids! Then again, some just need EVERYTHING spelled out for them!
You're lucky it didn't cause more damage, you could easily have forced an air bubble into your bloodstream, that would spell disaster.
Sounds like everyone here needs a floatie with a BIG cup holder!!!!