PDA

View Full Version : What is CLC... Conversion from SoftSwim to Chlorine

peggles0224
06-27-2006, 02:56 PM
we went to the pool store with a sample and told them we wanted to convert. They told us to buy CLC ... what is clc and i hear everyone talk about bleach... what is the difference

Donna's Poolboy
06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Do you mean CLC2? Don't do it. That's a BioGuard sanitizer and it's Calcium Hypochlorite. The pool store would LOVE to sell it to you for your conversion. If you use that stuff, you're adding chlorine and calcium to the water. By the end of the process, you're probably going to have a HUGE calcium level--large enough to cure osteoporosis. Plus...it's expensive. The 50 pound bucket I bought last year PPF (that's pre-pool-forum!) cost over $100 at the pool store. Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite...chlorine and saltwater and you can get an awful lot of it for $100. You didn't say what size or type of pool you have, but I'm positive bleach is the best option for you.

No doubt in my mind.

In fact, if Carl, Janet, Dave S. or watermom advises you to use CLC2...I'll head to my pool store, buy a gazillion bottles of SoftSwim and start a thread called "Help me convert from bleach to Baquacil!!!"

peggles0224
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
we didn't buy the clc... it was $65. We went to a store and asked a baquil and a chlorine pool person. We bought Mega Shock. This is the first time the pool has been opened in two seasons. We put 2 1/2 gallons in even though they said 1 would be enough. we have a 8,500 gallon AG pool. This mega shock has 12% the bleach you mentioned and 87% inert ingredients. Is this the way to convert from softswim to chlorine? The pool is no longer a very moss green. It's a mild blue/green color. We have been backwashing and filtering over night. The filter (sand) stopped so we think we have to fill the pool with more water because we went below the "filter" line . Are we on the right track? Our next step is to vaccuum the bottom of the pool with an algae that has settled. What's next?

peggles0224
06-28-2006, 09:03 AM
whoops i forgot. We also put a 1/2 gallon of algeacide in our 8,500 gallon pool.

Donna's Poolboy
06-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I have no idea what Mega Shock is or what's in it, but I do know that if you got it from the pool store, you paid way too much. Adding algaecide isn't part of the process so I don't know why they had you do that.

I think you have to go cold turkey. Cut the strings from the pool store and follow the directions of the experts here. 1) They know what they're talking about. 2) They're not trying to sell you a bunch of unnecessary and expensive products.

Read this entire thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3416) and follow their advice. Use plain old Chlorox bleach. Keep your water at shock level; test the water numerous times through the day; keep the filter running non-stop; backwash often.

ivyleager
06-29-2006, 08:24 AM
whoops i forgot. We also put a 1/2 gallon of algeacide in our 8,500 gallon pool.

Best of luck on your conversion. Pool water will never look better!

Please find the bottle of algaecide and post the ingredients. Sure hope it wasn't copper.

1. Do you have a drops based test kit? If not, WalMart has a 5 way or 6 way for about $15. If you can't get one, have pool store do water testing, BUT DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!!! Tell them you have friends who've converted and you're taking advice from them.

2. While you're at WalMart, pick up about 15 3qt jugs of WalMart generic bleach. Bottle should state 6% sodium hypochlorite.

3. If algaecide WAS NOT copper based, start adding the bleach. Read all the conversion posts to aquaint yourself to what you'll be needing to do, and what to expect. One jug of bleach will raise your chlorine approx 5ppm. With no stabilizer in the water, you'll most likely need to keep your chlorine up around 12-15ppm, AND KEEP IT THERE until it holds overnight. Test your water at least 3x/day (if possible) and add more bleach if necessary.

4. Run filter 24/7, backwash when pressure rises 10psi.

Good luck and hope this helps.

CaryB
Caniac