PDA

View Full Version : All DE filters the same??

cruzmisl
06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
HI Everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade my current Hayward sand filter to a DE filter. I'd like ~90gpm flow. I like the Pentair FNS models but Hayward Pro grid filters seem cheaper. I also like the StaRite modular system 3 DE but it's a lot of money. Do they all essentially do the same thing? What are you paying for with the high priced models?
Thanks,
Joe

bbb
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Hold on - I will answer your question after I am done removing the 17 bolts needed to clean my DE Filter...

OK, I'm done. Mine works perfectly despite the bolt-heavy construction.
I'm making a point here -- look for ease of cleaning and/or backwashing, as well as estimated time between backwashings. Since the actual filtration is done by the DE, you are right in that they technically work the same, but they can be vastly different in terms of cleaning and maintenance. Someone with a more modern model than mine (Hayward with "fingers" circa 1985) can give you better recommendations than I can.

Rangeball
06-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I like the Pentair FNS models

I have this one, the 36 model, for our 21,200 gallon pool. Until I learned to stay ahead of the pool, I had to break it down and manually clean it several times per year. It's a breeze; one bolt to loosen the retaining clamp, lift off the top half and lift out the grid. Hose it down, reinstall and fire back up. Whole process takes about an hour.

However, this year it's been running since on the original charge with no problems, water is crystal clear. Your supposed to backwash when the filter pressure rises 10 psi. Mine's gone up 1 all year.

I think with any filter type staying ahead of your pool is the key.

cruzmisl
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. What's the difference with the multiport and slide valves? Do they effectively do the same thing? Anyone with any comments of the newer Hayward pro grid DE filters?

Thanks,
Joe

ytngt
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I wanted a multiport valve because we can sometimes get more rain than the pool drain handle. So I go out and pump water to waste. With a slide valve you would have to backwash the filter to remove water from the pool.

I bought a Hayward 36 sqft pro grid filter because the local Leslies carried Hayward not Pentair. Both brands looked good to me but it all came down to what was available.

The hayward has a clamp so disassembly is easy. My pressure has gone up 1-2 psi so far this season. At this rate I might makeit through the season without backwashing the filter.