PDA

View Full Version : Borax

fcfrey
06-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Easing into the BBB method of doing things.

Cl=2ppm
TA=120
CYA=40
Temp 82F

pH is 7.0 after 5.75 inches of acid rain. Every thing else is in specs. How many mules :D do I throw into the pool?

aylad
06-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Start with about 1/2 box, add slowly through skimmer breaking up clumps, give it a couple hours to circulate, then test--and add more as needed. You're looking for the 7.2-7.6 range.

Janet

CarlD
06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
How many mules :D do I throw into the pool?

Thanks for the morning chuckle! What a GREAT visual image! "Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw!":p

DogPaddle
06-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Start with about 1/2 box, add slowly through skimmer breaking up clumps, give it a couple hours to circulate, then test--and add more as needed. You're looking for the 7.2-7.6 range.

Janet

Not to be a PITA, but what size box? Is this the "grocery store standard size" or the "Sam's Warehouse Club" :eek: box? Can you give your recommendation in cups or something? Thanks!!

Watermom
06-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm sure she is talking about the standard grocery store size box.

aylad
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, Watermom's right, as usual. Sorry, I rarely have to use it, so I only get the grocery store box.

Janet

fcfrey
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks to all --- Glad I could add a bit of humor for all. Next step will be Bleach --- downloaded the calculator. Problem is I have lots of pucks and Cal Hypo left.

May try a liquid shock today -- smelling the chloromines just a bit, soooo.... Do need to add OTO to my DPH kit so I can look at the higher CL Levels.

aylad
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
If your calcium level isn't too high (more than 200 or so for a vinyl pool, then you can still use the cal-hypo to shock if you want to--you just don't want to let it get high enough to start precipitating out of the water. Tightly cap your trichlor picks, and you can use them at the beginning of next season when you're trying to raise your CYA again.

Janet

fcfrey
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
OK --- that sounds reasonable --- Perhaps I should start another thread for this question.

I have never seen a difference when I test for total chlorine. Using a DPD test kit --- Fresh reagents and careful attention to procedure. Free chlorine now is between 2 & 3 when I add the 5 drops of R0003 nothing changes. We shock regularly (once per month) and I really don't want to see any combined chlorine but I would think I should see something. Perhaps I shock too often??

Watermom
06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
You shouldn't necessarily see any CC. I never do. It just means you are keeping your chlorine levels up adequately.

fcfrey
06-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Thank you. We try. Our pool is always nice and the water has a good smell to it.

All this begs the question though --- What is the criteria for shocking the pool?

Watermom
07-01-2006, 12:25 AM
You do not routinely need to shock the pool. I only shock if I see CC (which is practically never) or if we have had a really large number of swimmers or if there has been a lot of rain that put a lot of organic debris in the water. If you maintain your water chemistry, you really don't have to shock the pool. I don't think I have shocked at all this season. (Unless I did it once early in the season and have just forgotten.)