PDA

View Full Version : Backfill for an IG Pool

ohpoolboy
04-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Hello,

I have a question on backfilling an IG pool and how soon paver's can be laid. I have gotten several conflicting stories from six different pool contractors.

One said that the backfill needs to be allowed to settle for several months (the longer the better) before laying the paver's. Also you should not power tamp the ground because it might damage the pool plumbing.

Others say power tamping is fine and then the pavers can be laid soon after that.

Others say that they pour a concrete slab so it doesn't matter if you power tamp or not. The the pavers can be laid immediately.

I feel the the first method is the best but of coarse my wife would like the landscape finished as soon as possible. She is having a hard time accepting the fact that the settling is a issue since 5 out of the 6 said you didn't have to wait. Also, several of our neighbors have had pools done and they did not wait for backfill to settle before laying the pavers. None of them have had their pools in for more than 2 seasons so I really don't think they have stood the test of time.

Does the method of tamping and using a concrete slab really work or is this just a shortcut?

Thanks

SJohnson
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, ideally, you want to backfill with pea gravel or sand, so you don't get too much settling at all . . . But I'd wait untill a good strong rain then tamp again, and fill the settled void, tamp again. But, it ultimately will settle, no matter what you do, and the pavers/concrete will shift/crack . . . but, pea gravel or sand would help it . . .

Not the answer you wanted to hear, I'm sure . . . sorry . . . hope it helps. I'm dealing with piles of dirt myself having just put in a gunite monster, so I can empathize . . . dirt, dirt, all day long, never stops . . .

-SJohnson

duraleigh
04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Poolboy,

What do you mean by "pavers"? Describe your decking a little better.....you may be able to go ahead with it.

Basically, if you are going to have a "rigid" masonry deck...concrete, pavers with mortar between them, etc. , you will need to backfill with gravel or it will crack.

If you are going to put down stone with sand or dirt in between them, compacting and tamping CAREFULLY will give good results. Tell us a little more about what your decking is going to look like.

Dave S.