PDA

View Full Version : Polaris tail keeps catching on side of pool

geekgurl
04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I've got a nagging problem that I hope someone here can help with.

Our polaris cleaner keeps getting it's tail caught on the edge of the pool. It then shoots water out til the pump shuts off and then will dribble water out until the pool pump shuts off. It doesn't happen all the time, but this time it managed to aim at my new box of DE I left out. Plus, if I go on vacation, I have to turn it off... long story short, anybody got any ideas?

The edge of the pool is flagstone so there's a rough edge for it to catch on.

Thanks!!
-Melissa

kaybinster
04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Why not attach a small weight to the end of the tail to keep it from jumping out of the water. Never had mine do this, have you called tech support at Polaris -- they are usually fairly good.

geekgurl
04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks! I just read something on the polaris site about a part they sell that's essentially a weight that keeps the tail down. My pool shop also recommended to check the backup valve. I know that's been working because it's been backing up when i watch it, but who knows. I think I'll try the weight idea.

-M

Scarlett
04-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks! I just read something on the polaris site about a part they sell that's essentially a weight that keeps the tail down.
Where did you find the weight on the Polaris site? My tail doesn't get caught on the edge of the pool--or hasn't yet, but it could, because we have a rough and irregular limestone coping--but the tail does flip out of the water, and my dog, who has been chasing the Polaris frantically, will grab the brush in his mouth and rip it off! My husband replaced the original brush with a plastic sponge and secured it with wire ties. Now the dog has figured out how to grab the tail at the joint above the brush, and I am afraid he is going to rip the entire assembly off the body! Granted, this is the most exercise he has had all winter, and he sleeps like a baby at night, but he is going to continue to chase and swim after the Polaris even if he can't catch the tail, and I would like to avoid any major damage to the unit.

I am wondering how much or how little weight can be added in order to keep the tail down but not interfere with its scrubbing action. A fishing weight might work, but they are usually metal. I am assuming that the Polaris part would be encased in plastic. In any event, I haven't been able to find the right part.

Thanks,

Scarlett