PDA

View Full Version : where to get cyanuric acid?

fog80
04-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I dont want to go to a pool store, so does home depot carry something like this?

whats the cheapest place to get it?

JohnT
04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Look for stabilizer. Walmart carries it in some stores.

fog80
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
thanks.

i went to home depot and they said that they dont have their pool stuff in stock yet. I didnt ask for cyanuric acid because i didnt think most employees would know what it was (and the fact that I dont know what department it should be in).

Another stupid question......how can i figure out how many gallons my pool holds? Its like a kidney shape almost but not really.

DavidD
04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Yes, just saw some last night at Home Depot while checking out their algaecide. It's called Stabilizer. Don't remember the price. Remember, use VERY sparingly.

fog80
04-06-2006, 02:28 PM
yeah i dont want to put in too much.

i will probably use the bleach calc, the problem is i dont know how many gallons i have.

DavidD
04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
If it were me, I'd use Michaels Bleach Calc once again. Measure the length, come up with an average width and depth. Input those under Oval maybe in the More Calcs, Pool volume tab. You can probably come pretty close. I kept doubting that my pool was only 16K gallons at the beginning of last season so I tested FC (.5 with no CC), added 1 gallon of 6% bleach after sun down and tested again 1 hour later to find that FC was now 4. By backing into the bleach calc, I determined that 16K gallons was probably right. This wasn't very scientific but did reinforce what the builder had told me was his best guess.

Brock
04-06-2006, 03:07 PM
What’s the difference between cyanuric acid and muratic acid? I have always been using muratic acid. You can find it any place that sells paint, like Home depot or other home improvement style stores.

DavidD
04-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Cyanuric acid is CYA/Stabilizer. It's the chemical in the pucks you posted about before. It helps to prevent UV degradation of chlorine.

kaybinster
04-06-2006, 03:25 PM
What’s the difference between cyanuric acid and muratic acid? I have always been using muratic acid. You can find it any place that sells pain, like Home depot or other home improvement style stores.

Muriatic acid is is hydrochloric acid (HCl) that I believe is about 24% in strength. It will only lower your pH not stabilize chlorine levels.

Brock
04-06-2006, 03:29 PM
DOH, yes, yes, I remember now. Brain freeze, I was thinking is was something to use in place of muratic acid. With an indoor pool I never worry about CYA, sorry.

aylad
04-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I dont want to go to a pool store, so does home depot carry something like this?

whats the cheapest place to get it?
WalMart usually carries it--it's sometimes called balancer, conditioner, stabilizer, etc....but the ingredient is always cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid.

Janet

fog80
04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
do walmart/home depot type stores only carry it when they get their pool stuff in stock or is it a year round item?

I just got back from home depot and everybody there just looked at me like im crazy and then when i said its for a pool they were just like "our pool stuff isnt in yet"

KurtV
04-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Fog, Depends where you are. South Florida they seem to stock everything year 'round, up north probably summer only, here in Louisiana they have some stuff year 'round but not everything.

kaybinster
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Fog - I am surprised as I just was looking at the pool chemicals at Walmart here in NJ not 2 hours ago, but they did not have any DE in stock. So, I went across the street to the HomeDepot and picked up a 25 pound box of DE. If they have in in Northern NJ they sure should have it by now where you are.

fog80
04-07-2006, 09:22 PM
i ended up going to the pool store and buying five pounds for about 14 bucks. Not bad because home depots website had five pounds for the same price.