PDA

View Full Version : Help! Flash Flood last night! Drain or just filter?

Amir
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I live in Maryland and last night we had a flash flood. My crystal clear pool is now a brown pond. I started the filter 24/7 backwashed once, raised chlorine level to over 6 ppm, (cya pre flood 20 ppm) lowered PH to 7.3. I can hardly see the first step. Should I drain and refill or let the filter (DE) and Chlorine take care of the problem. I am concerned about what could have been washed in (fertilizer, pesticides etc.) that the chlorine and filter will not take out. I would appreciate any advice.
Regards

Amir

Poconos
06-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Amir,
I saw on Philly news this morning that parts of eastern MD got 11". Wow. Hope the pool is all that's affected. What kind of pool? I assume IG but is it a vinyl liner or what? My guess is mud will plug up the DE pretty fast. I think this rain is going to continue for days so based on that all I can suggest is draining to waste if the flooding is over and letting additional rain refill and dilute.
Good Luck,
Al

Amir
06-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Al,
It was the worst I have seen since I have moved in this house year ago. The pool is 35000 IG gunite - just remodeled. The mud does plug the DE very fast. The guy who remodeled the pool said to vacuum the pool and let the filter do the job. He also said that the chlorine will oxidize the nitrogen form the fertilizer. I don't know if this is true.
Amir

Amir
06-26-2006, 11:34 AM
By the way, thank God it was just the pool. It was touch a go for a while since we lost power and the sump pumps were not working. The water got to within 3" of the floor of the basement but the power kicked in and all is fine - at least indoors!
Amir

cleancloths
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear your problems. In NJ we have gotten about 4-5" so it is just a matter of pumping out the excess water. I would think if you turn off the pump and let things sit still the mud will settle and then you can vaccuum it out. You probably need to find out why you had a mud flow towards the pool. The pool should be slightly higher than the surrounding ground so that run-off won't go to the pool. Maybe when things dry out you should build some sort of burm so this does not happen again.

Tredge
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I think the general rule of thumb is:
If you can see the bottom, filter. If you cant, replace.

That much mud is going to be expensive to filter out.
I might try letting it all settle out and then vaccum to waste depending on how much mud there is.

So my advice is to Not filter for a few days and see what settles....then decide to replace or not.

Watermom
06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
I think I also would try and let as much settle on the bottom as possible and then vac to waste. Then, let your filter work on it. Good luck.

Amir
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Thank for all the replies. I did not have a vacuum so I will buy one today and see how it goes.
One more thing. Is is useful to run my Polaris 280. I think not since it will not let the mud to settle.
Thanks all
Amir

Tredge
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Thank for all the replies. I did not have a vacuum so I will buy one today and see how it goes.
One more thing. Is is useful to run my Polaris 280. I think not since it will not let the mud to settle.
Thanks all
Amir

I would say not. It will stir it up, also the little bag in the polaris just wont hold much dirt/mud to make any difference.

Let it sit for a couple of days and then decide how to handle it. A Vacuum to waste will save your filters.

aylad
06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I would at least go ahead and shock it so that nothing gets a foothold in there and starts growing, then let it sit and see what you can do with the vaccuum.

Janet

waterpro
06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I wouldnt even think about draining it till the water table goes down...You dont want that pool to float...

Amir
06-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Waterpro,
Your are right. This pool had floated years ago. I just spent 20K fixing it and it still has problems.

New test today : FC:4ppm, CC: 1ppm, cya <20, PH 7.3 Mud #$%^ ppm!

Lenny
06-27-2006, 11:46 AM
A few weeks ago, after a storm, I came home to a brown pool that was filled to the top. I could see down to maybe the 2nd or 3rd step. I shocked and started filtering right away and I was amazed to find that in 24 hours it was totally clear.

Amir
06-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Lenny,
I can now see only the first step. The good news is that the sun is out and the rain has stopped - at least for now! I am keeping the chlorine level high and hope it will clear out in a week.
Amir

Amir
07-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Just an update! I can see down to 5'! no more mud. I could hardly see 3" down when all this started! I have backwashed the filter (DE) 6 times and vacuumed every AM and PM - last night removed the filter blades and vacuumed to backwash for 2 hours and lowered the water by a foot and refilled found out that I have two tare in the blades of the filter. I sewed them up and will have to buy replacements. It was a mess inside the filter tank clay cediments every where. I have gone through over 35 lbs of DE media. the water is cloudy but not brown just a little green. new tests: PH 7.4, FC 11, CC 0.5, CYA 20 I have a group of people coming for the 4th to swim but I am afraid that even though the water might clear the chlorine level will be still too high! thank for all the help
Regards

Amir

ChristopherS64
07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I have swam in water with cl over 10 ppm with no problem. I am no expert but I think 11 ppm would be no problem.